TLTH Chapter Fifteen

This Love, This Hate

Chapter Fifteen

                “Are you sure he wasn’t drunk or something?” Missy asked incredulously after Raine filled her in.

                “Why, because that would change things?” Zoe snapped before Raine could even promise a response.

                “Raine, your new little ‘girlfriend’ is starting to work my nerves.” Missy carefully enunciated while she and Zoe glowered at each other beneath the hot sunlight. Raine rolled her eyes and stared up at the clear blue sky, wishing she could disappear into the soft ivory clouds above them. They were all sitting at Zoe’s backyard patio and Missy and Zoe weren’t exactly growing on each other. “Well, aren’t you going to defend me?”

                “No, I’m not.” Raine snapped, looking from the sky to face her, “And no, I don’t think he was drunk and if he was it doesn’t excuse what happened. Zoe’s right. However,” She turned to face Zoe with the same unhappy expression, “She could’ve been much more polite about it.”

                “Jesse reported him last night.” Zoe informed matter-of-factly, as if to add to Raine’s point.

                “Seriously? Raine, this could ruin him.” Missy gawked.

                “Do you really just not care that much about me?” Raine demanded, shoving her chair back and standing to go inside.

                “Of course I care! This is just so…overdramatic of you.” Missy explained, twirling a piece of hair around her finger.

                “Leave.” Zoe ordered flatly. She’d had enough of her for one day and she’d barely been there thirty minutes.

                “Raine, you’re really going to let her kick me out like that?” Missy challenged.

                “It’s not like you’re being nice to her. I have to go to the police department to get my body evaluated regarding my report anyway.” Raine dismissed, “You can cut your bitch act and come and support me or you can go. I’m not in the mood for your shit today. Scratch that; I’m not in the mood for anyone’s shit.”

                “Me-ow.” Missy teased, standing and hoisting her bag onto her shoulder, “I’ll come, okay? I might not get it, but I’m your best friend…not this skinny dyke over here.”

                “Excuse me?” Zoe demanded, raising to her feet angrily.

                “Oh, nothing but the truth, sweetie.” Missy answered with a sugary sweet smile.

                “You know what? Don’t come. Don’t even talk to me until you want to be a normal human being.” Raine decided, shooting daggers at Missy and tugging on Zoe’s arm to leave.

                After Zoe and Raine left, Missy stayed where she was and daintily sat back down in the patio chair, knowing she had done her dear friend wrong. She dropped her head into her hands and sighed, trying to find a reason why she acted so horribly towards others. She was so consumed in finding the source of her terrible ways in fact, that she didn’t even hear Malarie come out and join her.

                “Is everything okay?” Malarie asked softly after she’d watched her a few minutes.

                “Who’s there?” Missy replied, jumping at the sound of her unfamiliar voice.