TLTH Chapter Twenty-Four

This Love, This Hate

Chapter Twenty-Four

“Alright, time to wake up my tired princess!” Zoe announced quickly dropping her shorts and reaching around Raine to lift her into her arms effortlessly before jogging deeper into the water with her. Raine couldn’t help but let out a surprised squeal and laugh as Zoe spun her and acted like she was about to throw her into the water once the water was touching the bottom of her bikini top.

“Zoe, no!” Raine cried with a laugh that was a mixture of joy and fear.

“One…” Zoe began to count with a giant grin on her face, Raine clung tightly to her neck and Missy let out a chuckle from nearby, “Two…” Raine clung tighter and Zoe let out a hearty laugh, “Three!” She announced, pulling Raine free and tossing her forward a few feet to crash down into the warm, aqua water that surrounded them.

“Zoe!” Raine screamed once she re-surfaced, her jealousy out of mind for a brief, blissful moment. She didn’t hear a response and rubbed her eyes before turning around to see Zoe playfully shove Missy into the water. They’re just friends. Raine told herself, though her thoughts were jumping to far greater conclusions. Instead of joining them, Raine waded deeper into the water, trying to just focus on the ocean and let her mind drift where it wanted, where Zoe and Missy were further and further away with each thought. It worked long enough, but eventually Randall’s face came forward into her mind and she found herself reliving their relationship from blissful start to emotionally scarring finish and she lost sight of where she was going, how deep the water was, and what Zoe and Missy were saying or where they were.

~

“Despite that we’ve had sex, I think we should just pretend this is a fresh relationship and go back a few steps to the getting to know each other stage.” Malarie commented to Jesse as they walked around the neighborhood of beach house after ridiculously expensive beach house.

“That’s fine by me.” Jesse agreed with a chuckle. “How far back in our relationship are we trekking?”

“Just before the sex part?” Malarie asked lamely. She felt so ridiculous talking about it, even though it was probably a wonderful experience.

“We don’t remember it, so it never happened.” Jesse decided, wrapping his arm around her slender waist and grinning up into the clear blue sky.

“You really are amazing.” Malarie sighed, resting her head against the inside of his chest as they walked closer together.

“Alright, so tell me about Malarie. Don’t start all boring either, get to the good stuff.” Jesse said after they’d walked in silence a few blocks.

“I love to garden.” Malarie confessed as her cheeks turned a deep scarlet, “I know, it’s an old person hobby. Maybe I’m just an old soul.”

“Woah there, love. I never said that.” Jesse interjected with an amused laugh, “I think gardening is lovely. My mum gardened.”

“See? Old people hobby.” Malarie insisted with a giggle. She usually didn’t tell people about her unusual hobby for her age. More often her love for shopping and taste for fashion or care for others was spoken of, but Jesse already knew all of that. Besides, gardening was the ‘good stuff’ in Malarie’s mind.

“I beg to differ,” Jesse argued gently, “See, me? I don’t even have a hobby.”

“Maybe you just haven’t found one.” Malarie allowed, glancing up and sighing when she saw they’d already made their way back to Ceirrah’s beach house.

“Why don’t we go around again? I’m enjoying this.” Jesse suggested, giving her shoulders a gentle squeeze and noticing how they weren’t nearly as frail as Zoe’s. No. He told himself, Don’t compare them. They may be twins, but they aren’t to be compared.

~

“RAINE! Raine, please! Come on, come on!” Zoe screamed, shaking Raine’s frail shoulders desperately.

“She’ll come back, it’s okay. She wasn’t under very long.” Missy soothed.

“Raine!” Zoe cried, burying her face in her lower stomach and clutching handfuls of sand on either side of her motionless frame. Moments later, Raine convulsed, spewing water from her delicate mouth and squinting around in confusion. “Raine?” Zoe asked, shooting up and cupping her face in her hands, “Oh thank God!” She breathed, gathering Raine into her arms and clutching her close to her chest. “What the hell were you thinking?”

“Wha…what?” Raine whispered, her voice barely audible from how dry the saltwater had made it.

“I’m going to find Jesse and Malarie and get her some water.” Missy murmured, patting Zoe’s back and jogging towards the beach house.

“You went too far out and the current grabbed you!” Zoe explained emphatically as she clung to her, “God, I could’ve lost you…”

Raine didn’t respond, just timidly held her back as she tried to recall what Zoe was saying happened but she remembered nothing but walking further into the water and letting her mind wander a little further than she’d intended for it to. Zoe kept explaining things, thanking heaven that she was alive and clinging to her but Raine just felt numb and confused.

Minutes later, Missy returned with everything she’d promised to go seek out and tears fresh in her eyes. She and Malarie immediately knelt in the sand and coaxed Raine out of Zoe’s arms to get her some water. “I’ll take her inside, she’s ice cold.” Jesse offered, scooping her into his arms before anyone could object.

“Just take me home.” Raine murmured, craning her neck back to look at Zoe, “Zoe, just take me home.”