Ice Giants - Part 4 - Jaskier x Reader

(Y/n) made her way out into the surrounding white. A fresh flurry of snow whipping around her as she trudged through the deep drifts. She loved it in the cold. She loved it when the world around her was covered in a freshly fallen, sparkling blanket of flakes. This was where she flourished. This was her home. She had been born in the harshest winter that there had ever been. Brought up in the arms of the cold, until she had been abandoned by a mother that she could no longer remember at the keep of Kaer Morhenthe, where she had first met Geralt. And along with him had joined School of the Wolf. There she had undertaken the Trials. Her ability to take the pain and punishment of the Trials of Grasses, Dreams, Mountains and Swords and Trial of the Forest Eye ensuring that just like Geralt, she had been experimented on a little more. And that also like the son of Visenna, the mutations that she had gone through, had given her strength, speed, endurance, resilience, healing, senses, a complete immunity to any diseases and conventional poisons, and an extreme resistance to pain, that could rival the White Wolf himself. 

Yet one experiment that she had undertaken that Geralt had not, had given her own moniker "The Winter Wolf". The Trial of Ice had made her one with the cold. Had made it easy for her to see creatures that called it home, such as Ice Trolls and Giants. To not succumb to the monsters of the winter. Had made it so that she could hear them, sense them. Smell them. She could hear their thoughts. Understand their language. The lyrics of the northern folk song that went "Our winter's cold and deep, frostbite eats your feet, snow falls down and hides the ground and ice trolls wake from sleep!", one that she could often be found humming to herself as she journeyed from place to place. The female Witcher never happier than when she found herself back in the embrace of winter.

Suddenly she stopped. The sound of soft crunching catching her ears. The Witcher smiling as she saw a pair of snow rabbits a short distance away. (Y/n) slowly and quietly taking the bow that she would carry from her shoulder and notching an arrow. If she timed it just right, she would get both with one shot and it would mean that Jaskier would get to eat well that evening.

Jaskier..............what was it about that bard? Or should that be what was it about Julian Alfred Pankratz, Viscount de Lettenhove that held her attention? (Y/n) chuckling to herself as she recalled the minstrel giving her his full, and correct title as they had journeyed further north. He was charming, yes.........Flirtations, yes..............Funny, yes...............Sweet............yet she could probably say that about any man that had ever called himself a bard. It was just what they were.........what they did. Yet there was something about Jaskier that she felt set him apart from the others. Despite their first meeting, and the fact that as Geralt had noted, he wasn't even quiet when he was asleep, (Y/n) had come to like him more and more. Had come to like the way that he looked at her with those grey eyes. Had come to like the way that he smiled at her. How he would tell her about his and Geralt's adventures and the monsters that they.............well, that Geralt had faced. The female Witcher letting the drawstring slip from her fingers. The two rabbits impaled together on one perfectly timed arrow.

                                                              >>----------------------------------<<

Jaskier got up and made his way to the mouth of the cave. The snow that continued to fall, making it difficult to see anything much beyond the entrance. He had forgotten about how cold he was. Forgotten about the fact that he was still struggling to feel all his appendages. His only concern now, (Y/n).

He knew that it was foolish to be concerned about a Witcher. A woman that was more than capable of taking care of herself. Yet here he was, nervous and anxious. Filled with dread at the notion that something awful could have happened to her, as she went to find wood to keep him warm. At the idea that he could lose her.

Despite their not so wonderful first meeting in the tavern that night, where (Y/n) and Geralt had just left him; Jaskier had continued to find himself quite enamoured of the exquisite woman. More enamoured with her than he believed that he had ever been with another woman. In fact, he was sure that he was feeling things for her that he had never felt for anyone else...............

"Do you think that she will be alright? Perhaps we should go and find her. She's been gone for quite a while................."

"What...............?"

"(Y/n)..........you know...........(Y/n). She went to get some firewood in this awful weather. Do you think that she's alright? Maybe we should go out and find her.............." Jaskier retorted in disbelief, as he turned to look at his friend.

"You're worried about her..............?"

"Of course, I'm worried! She could have met a Troll or even and Ice Giant. She could be out there, dead, and what are we doing................"

"We are doing the only sensible thing that we can do Jaskier, and that is staying out of her way. If she has met a Troll or Giant, I would say that the only ones that should be worried, are the monsters. And if you stepped foot out into that snow I dare say, that it would be (Y/n) that would be having to come looking for you. She has no fear of the cold. No fear of snow and ice. No fear of what lays within the snowy wastes." Geralt sighed, as he got to his feet and made his way over to join the bard. The Witcher placing a reassuring hand on Jaskier's shoulder, as he too stared out into the snow.

"Well, isn't this touching? Do you two boys want a moment alone? I can leave again.........." An amused tone came. Both men turning to see who the owner of the voice was. A fire suddenly coming to life in front of them; its flames illuminating the face of (Y/n).

"What's wrong with you? Anyone would think you had seen a ghost." (Y/n) continued, as Geralt and Jaskier continued to stare. Neither of them sure how the woman had suddenly appeared behind them in the cave without ever passing them.

"Now........who wants some rabbit...............?"