From the flames - Part 1 - Geralt x Jaskier x Reader

She ran. Just ran. She had no idea where she was going. Even the moon refused to shine for her, as her feet led her further and further into the dark forest. A heavy blanket of cloud resting over the great celestial orb. She was in pain, the fallen branches, sharp twigs and jagged stones cutting at her feet. Lashing at her legs. Slicing the skin of her arms and face. But she couldn't stop, the sounds of men shouting and barking dogs still loud enough for her to hear. The tiny flickers of their burning torches getting bigger as they got closer.

She had no idea how she had been discovered. It wasn't as if she went around and told everyone that she was a monster. She didn't show others what she could do. But somehow, someway the people of the town that she had stopped at for the last few day, had seemed to sense that she was not like them. Doing her best to just smile as they would watch her and talk in hushed tones as she passed. In truth, she had determined to leave the next day. She had never stayed in one place too long out of fear that something might happen and she would be revealed. But as she had slumbered in the bed that she had been able to acquire at an inn in the town, her door had been thrown open. Her blurry, sleep filled eyes only able to make out a number of rather burly figures standing in the doorway. A gruff voice calling her a monster before they had rushed in.

But the men had underestimated her. She was much quicker and far more nimble than they had thought, and she had been able to flip from their grasp, crashing through the second storey window. Thanking whatever deity that might be looking, for their being a pile of hay to break her fall, before she had run.

She had no idea whether they had meant to try and kill her. No idea whether they intended to use her, or sell her to the highest bidder. But whatever way, she wasn't about to stay around and find out. She wasn't about to be caged. To have her powers used against the innocents, or to save the wicked. So, all she could do, was run. Run and keep running until she could run no more. Until she was reborn to run again.

                                                      >>-----------------------------------<<

Geralt poked at the fire, as Jaskier strummed on his lute. The Witcher wondering how well lutes burned when thrown into a fire.

"Will you stop that for just a moment............?" Geralt grumbled, as he threw his stick into the flames.

"You know, I never get any appreciation from you. Here am I, trying to compose the greatest song to your heroic deeds that I have ever penned, and what do you say.........Will you stop that for just a moment............! You know something, Geralt. You really know how to stifle my creativity. Perhaps I should go and find someone else. Some muse that was more appreciative.........."

"Yes! Perhaps you should..................."

"Well yes..........but I didn't mean right at this moment. Not at this instance. Not until I............I wasn't saying that I wanted to go, to leave you. We both know how much you need me.........." Jaskier fumbled, as he sat up and dropped his lute to his side.

"BE QUIET!" Geralt ordered. Pointing a threatening finger at the bard before getting to his feet and looking into the woods that surrounded them.

"See, now that is just rude...................."

"JASKIER!!" The large man growled, his eyes bright yellow burning holes into the minstrel. Jaskier nearly falling off the back of the log on which he sat.

"There is someone coming." Geralt continued, as he turned back to the dark expanse of trees. The White Wolf concentrating as he did his best to hear what was coming. Pulling one of his swords from its sheath, for whatever it was, was coming their way; and behind it were men. Men with dogs.

"Geralt...............?"

"Get behind me.............." Geralt ordered, as the sound of running footfalls and laboured breathing filled his ears.

In truth, he and Jaskier should not be there. But after a rather unpleasant encounter with a Striga that he had been hunting, they had sort of ended up in the woods. The Witcher hoping to get some coin for the creature's head when they came to the next town. But he had not expected to deal with something else. Though it could mean that he might get double his price, if he were to kill whatever was racing towards them.

Suddenly something made its way through the trees and into the clearing. But it wasn't a Leshy or a Myriapod. It wasn't even a Bruxa, although the sight was certainly beautiful enough to be one. No, it was a woman, a panting, blood covered, fear filled woman. Her body, that was covered only in a thin shift, stumbling forward. Her eyes looking up at Geralt, before a soft gasp left her lips and she fell to the floor. Jaskier jumping to his feet and making his way over to her. His brows furrowing as he tried to move her, as he tried to rouse her. His head dropping as he realised it was useless.

"Geralt...........she...........she's................." Jaskier trying to speak, as he made his way back over to his friend, who was still on alert. The bard unable to believe that the woman had just died before their eyes. Nearly jumping out of his skin as a group of men and snarling dogs found their way to them.

"Get away from her...........she's ours...............!" A rather large and scarred man growled, as he looked over at the body of the woman.

"And what use would you have for a dead woman..........?"

"Do you really want the answer to that question.............?" Jaskier said quietly. Geralt giving him a quick glare, before turning his attention back to the men.

"You really aren't as smart as you think you are, are you Witcher? Death means nothing to that one.........." The man hissed with disdain, as he took a step closer.

"Why don't you try and take her." The Witcher retorted, raising his sword above his head. He, Jaskier and the men suddenly having to cover their eyes, as the body of the woman burst into flames.