From the flames - Part 2 - Geralt x Jaskier x Reader

For Katmandew. I hope I did ok.

The flames grew so intense and bright, that even the Witcher had to step back. The heat warming his skin to a point that even he thought he was going to burn up. And then it stopped, as quickly as it had begun, it stopped. Geralt and the other men uncovering their eyes to see that some of the trees that had been the closest to where the woman's body lay, were now on fire. And the body, the body was still there, but now it was completely naked, perfect and unaffected by the flames; and it was obvious to all that she was..........well, she was breathing...............

"Geralt................" Jaskier said quietly, as he pulled on the Witcher's sleeve like a child trying to get its mother's attention.

"WHAT..............!?"

"She.........she's breathing.............she's alive................."

"Of course, she's alive, you idiot. That's what her kind do..............Now get out of the way. That thing belongs to us............" The leader of the of men said angrily, as he took a step closer. Geralt bringing down his sword and pointing it straight at the man.

The Witcher couldn't believe it. Despite everything he had been through, no matter what he had had to face, he had never seen the likes of this woman before. He knew of them, of course he did. He had heard the mages and druids speak of them. Seen the great scrolls that hung from the walls of the great library. The illustrations of mighty, fiery birds always drawing his attention. But he never thought that he would see one, especially not one in this kind of form. Yet it was the only explanation. The only way that she could have done what she had done; the only way that she could be alive now, despite moments before being dead. It was the only reason that these men would want her. And that was, because she was a Phoenix.................

"If you want her.........come and claim her.........." Geralt replied. His lip twisting into a snarl, as the man in front of him let out a hearty chuckle.

"It'll be our pleasure.................." The man retorted. Two men from his sides racing towards Geralt, before two more followed. Jaskier quickly making his way over to the still unmoving woman. Doing his best to shield the prone figure as Geralt did what Geralt did. The bard sure he was going to be sick, as the big man's head came rolling past him. And then.........then it was over. Jaskier getting to his feet and brushing himself, before coming up behind the Witcher and placing his hand on Geralt's shoulder.

"Well........we showed them." The comment causing Geralt to peer over his shoulder and give Jaskier one of his looks.

"Er, yes, well.............."

"Is she still breathing..............?" Geralt asked, Jaskier thankful that the subject had been changed.

"Yes, she..............Geralt...........what is she? How did she.........the fire............" The bard rambled, as Geralt grabbed his cloak and then made his way over to the woman. Wrapping her up in the dark material, before taking her up into his arms and carrying her towards the fire.

"I think that she's a Phoenix." The Witcher replied, as he placed her to the ground. Brushing the hair away from her face. Finding himself quite taken aback by the now unscathed, unscratched, unblooded woman. Geralt sure that her breathtaking beauty would even be obvious to a blindman.

"A Phoenix................? A Phoenix................? But I thought they were............"

"Birds.........yes. But there is no other explanation for this. How she was dead, the fire and then she was alive again. Why the men would want her so much. They could have made a lot of coin if they had found the right buyer" Geralt interrupted, as he continued to look at he; he himself wondering how all this could be possible.

"Why............what.................?" Jaskier began to ask, as he took a seat back on his log. His own eyes fixed on the silent beauty.

"There are many myths that surround the Phoenix, maybe too many to really know what their true strengths and powers are; and I have read many varying accounts. Some say that they can control the elements, that they are able to bring with them rain and fire. That they are the bringers of death. That their tears are poisonous. Other believe quite the opposite; they consider the bird to be so auspicious, that just by touching it, they would be healed of any wound or disease, and that the tears could even bring back the dead. Other still, think that if they consume the flesh of the Phoenix, that they will gains its powers and become immortal." Geralt explained, as he reached for his saddle bag and placed it under her head.

"Oh.................." Jaskier responded. The bard for once not really sure what to say. But the idea that any one might want to eat her flesh, was making his stomach twist.

"What..........what do we do with her? We can't leave her here. She's naked, unarmed.................."

"Yes, I am aware of that. We'll let her sleep for the rest of the night. I'll keep watch just in case someone else comes looking for her, or those men. In the morning, I'll talk to her. There might be somewhere safe I can take her." The Witcher interrupted. Geralt having no intention of leaving the woman behind. Just hoping that he could persuade her that he meant her no harm and that she would be safe with them.

"Now, get some sleep. We have a long day tomorrow.............." Geralt ordered, before turning his attention to the dark forest. His yellow eyes scanning for any movement. Jaskier nodding his head in agreement before settling down onto his bedroll. Giving their unusual Phoenix a smile, before closing his eyes.