From the fire - Part 3 - Jaskier x Geralt x Reader

She moved. She could feel that her life force had been regenerated. She could feel that she was anew; but she could remember very little of it, as always. She could recall that she had been running, running so hard that she was sure that her heart would break from her chest. Running so fast that her lungs and legs were burning. The sounds of shouting and the barking of dogs had filled her ears. She knew that she had get to the forest. That the stones, branches and twigs had cut at her skin and flesh, as she tried to look for somewhere to hide. Somewhere that could save her from those that wished to capture her. But after that............it all became...........well...........nothingness. Yet at this moment, instead of feeling the cold of a stone floor, or the bars of a cage that she would have expected if the men had caught up with her, she was warm and comfortable. Her body wrapped up in something heavy but still soft. Slowly, she moved, a soft moan leaving her lips, as she turned.

"Geralt!" A voice suddenly exclaimed.

"She.......she's moving.............." It continued, her eyes cautiously opening. The creature quickly scurrying back, her orbs growing wide as she spied two men looking down at her.

"Hey, hey...........its alright............." The dark-haired man assured her. Holding up his hands to show that he meant no harm, but not before slapping the other, tall, white-haired man on the chest. This man huffing and rolling his eyes, before he did the same.

"H-h-how.......did..............?"

"You came rushing into our camp last night. And you sort of...........died........" The dark-haired man explained, as he took a tentative step forward.

"The........the men.............?"

"Oh, well..........you don't have to worry about them. They won't bother you again..............." He assured, as he knelt before her. A smile coming to his lips, as she looked between him and the man behind him.

"Why were they after you.............?" He continued. His brows furrowing, as the beautiful woman seemed to focus on his big friend.

"I'm Jaskier, and that.................."

"A Witcher!" She gasped in reply, as she looked deep into the yellow eyes of Geralt.

"Well, yes, yes he is but.................."

"And you're a phoenix.................." The Witcher interrupted, as he too stepped forward. The phoenix scurrying back as far as she could. Jaskier looking over at his shoulder to Geralt. The bard sometimes sure that the Witcher had no idea how to deal with women.

"How.........how do you....................?"

"You died, burst into flames. And then...........you were sort of alive again................" Jaskier explained, the bard taking back the conversation, seeing that it was obvious that the beautiful phoenix was not overtly keen on Geralt.

"I er..............I was only planning on staying in the village until tomorrow. Somehow, they..........they found out what I was. They burst into my room, I had to jump from the window to escape. I couldn't think of what else to do, so I ran............I was scared. I knew what they would do if they caught me. And now I have been caught by a Witcher instead. What are you going to do, Witcher? Kill me or sell me?" She explained to Jaskier. Her eyes burning as she hissed her question to Geralt.

"Why would he do that..................?"

"Because that is what Witcher's do, isn't it? They kill monsters, and I am a monster. Or perhaps he knows how much I am worth? How much gold he could get from the right man for me............." The phoenix continued, as she finally looked at Jaskier. The bard believing that if he didn't know better, the lady and the Witcher might just have had a run in before this. But given how surprised the big man had been when she had burst into flames. Given his disbelief that the phoenix was a woman and not a bird, there was no doubt in Jaskier's mind, that this was the first time for both of them. The bard just having to presume that Geralt's reputation and the myths that surrounded him, had proceeded him.

"He isn't going to kill you, I promise. I don't think that you're a monster, and I doubt Geralt does either................"

"Then you're going to sell me..............?" She asked, as she once again looked at the pale haired man.

"We aren't going to sell you either................" Geralt replied curtly, as he kicked dirt over what was left of the glowing embers of the fire. Jaskier surprised by how much colder the Witcher seemed to the night before.

He was not shocked by the fact that the phoenix was scared of Geralt. She had been chased into the dark by men that wanted to do goodness knows what to, or with her; and she awakes to the Witcher, staring down at her. But Geralt had done all he could to help her last night. He had protected her. Fought and killed all of those that had come for her. He had wrapped her naked form in his own cloak and carried her carefully over to the fire; keeping watch all night just in case someone else came to look for her, and her pursuers. Even saying that in the morning, he would talk to her, and might know somewhere safe they could take her. Yet now it was as if the beautiful woman's words had hurt Geralt's feelings. As if her actions of scurrying away from him, had.........well, broken his heart.

"Then what...................?"

"We thought it might be safer for you if you journeyed with us. Geralt said that he might know of somewhere he could take you that would be safe." Jaskier explained, it obvious from her eyes that she still wasn't sure about Geralt, despite what he was saying.

"I..........I suppose that it is better for me to be travelling with a Witcher, than being chased by him. But.........before we go, I think I will need some clothes." The phoenix replied, as she looked under the large black cloak that covered her. Jaskier unable to do anything but smile.