XXIV

I stared at the girl in the mirror, waiting to see which of us would blink first.

My hair was still partially wet from the shower, hanging loosely over my shoulders. My skin was glowing from cleanser and moisturizer, but I had hesitated to put makeup on. After a few minutes of considering it, I decided to leave my skin alone and just brush out my brows, put on some mascara, and call it quits.

I blinked at myself a few times, willing my eyes not to tear up from staring, before stepping back as I sighed. Whatever excitement I had felt for this evening, it had long been stomped out by the sinking in my stomach.

In our time in the coffee shop, Lara explained how although she'd suggested a dress or something fancier, but Kevin had assured her it wasn't necessary. From what I could guess, we were going out to dinner, and then after that, doing something together that involved being outside and being romantic.

The word felt foreign when I thought of Kevin. Romance. We had our heated moments, but the word was too close to anything resembling love. I would settle for infatuation.

That's what Kevin and I were. Strangely, infatuated with the idea of one another. Or so I thought, until earlier today.

From all the information I gathered, I decided on a nice, fitted long sleeve with a sweetheart neckline, a pair of jeans I had bought right before moving here, and some laceless doc martins. I struggled with the outfit because I wasn't quite sure anymore.

What did Kevin expect from me?

He'd looked at me like I was the devil and hadn't texted me all day. Were we still on for our first date? I had no clue. I stared at myself in the mirror, before pulling my hair into a half-up hair-do. I tucked out a few strands to frame my face, and settled for a butterfly clip on the back of my head.

That's it. That's all I would do. I was tired of guessing. I headed into my room, grabbing a small purse that I could rest on the side of my shoulder. I eyed a jacket on my bed, but decided against it. It didn't seem too cold out. I headed downstairs, phone in hand, and sat on the couch. Waiting for something.

I didn't even know if Kevin would come knocking, or if I should go to his door. I didn't know. This was all too much. The not knowing.

I began to stand up, thinking perhaps, I shouldn't go at all. I hadn't noticed Lara sitting on the dining table, not spotting me slip downstairs but somehow seeing me when I stood, leaning to look out the window,

"Dove, relax. You look great." I sighed softly, turning to look at her. I held my elbow anxiously, pacing over to her,

"You think so?" She nodded, and with a sigh I pulled out a chair and sat beside her. Her laptop was in front of her, and I snuck a peek, realizing all her hard work was just some online shopping. I pursed my lips to keep from giggling, and she mistook it for another nervous quirk,

"Alright, alright. Come here." I raised a brow at her, and watched as she pulled something from her pocket. I watched carefully, fidgeting with the gold rings on my fingers. It was a tube of lip gloss.

"This, is my trusty lip gloss. It'll make any boy fall head-over-heels in love with you..." I rolled my eyes, but pursed my lips as she opened it and pulled out the wand. Carefully, she glided it over my lips as she explained, "Of course, I'll only put a little bit on you. I don't want Kevin to get too obsessed with you."

I chuckled, feeling her fingertips press against my jaw as she tilted my face up. She was careful with the wand, but precise, lining the gloss over my lips expertly. I let her finish applying it before rubbing them together.