XX

It was funny how silence with Kevin made the tension so thick, you could slice it with a knife.

He was never far off as we roamed the halls of the house. I'd show him around and mention something, then he'd to study the area, and soon I'd feel that familiar chill when his gaze returned to me. It was like he was waiting for me to slip up, to reveal more than I wanted to.

As we got to the room my Aunt let me take over, I let him walk ahead of me. In the corner of the room, there was a white cabinet, topped with a couple of unused sketchbooks, and any other art supplies that I hadn't gotten to yet.

I hadn't painted nearly as much as I expected in my first few weeks, but I had a finished piece drying on the easel. It was the one I began the first day of school and ended up finishing this week. I realized pretty soon that the figure I was mysteriously creating turned into a familiar one. I was painting Kevin, the structure of his face becoming clear when I began adding in the details.

I didn't expect him showing any interest in my art, so I kept to my own devices. I hoped he wouldn't look too hard at it, but knowing Kevin, that's exactly what he would do.

"And this, is the room you most see me in, stalker." I teased, and he looked at me for a second, a small smirk reminiscent on his face, before his eyes went to the walls.

"It doesn't seem like you've decorated." I sighed softly, nodding,

"I've spent less time here than I wanted to." I eyed him, knowing he was to blame, "but yeah, I figure it'll look better once I hang some more stuff up." He nodded, finally noticing the easel that was turned away from view. He walked over to it, his steps heard on the crinkling newspaper that surrounded it.

I mentally cursed, knowing I should've hidden it. Why did I underestimate Kevin's persistence on knowing every little thing about me?

As he saw the painting, a deep interest came across his features, and a little surprise, as if this was the last thing he expected.

"Is that... me, sweet cheeks?" I felt my cheeks tint pink, and I bit my lip softly as I looked at the ground. For once, Kevin had caught me flustered. Why did this have to be the thing I got embarrassed about?

"A... little. I mean, yeah. It is. I'm sorry," I began, feeling his gaze on me. I glanced up, seeing a smile on his face as he looked at the painting and then at me. My heart jumped, more than a little entranced,

"What do you mean? It's not bad, Cooper." I let myself scoff, though a part of me felt relieved,

"Sure, it's not bad, but it's creepy. Your fuck buddy drawing you? It's gotta be disconcerting." He laughed, looking over it more as he held out his hand, gesturing for me to come over. I trudged over, looking at the only source of inspiration I was able to draw this week.

Kevin had been on my mind all the time, and it was something I needed to exercise out. So I did, by doing it the best way I could; painting. I think it revealed more about how I felt about him than I'd like to admit..

"You're not my fuck buddy, Cooper," He stated plainly, like there was no way to dispute it. He bumped his shoulder again mine, crossing his arms, "and this is nowhere near as creepy as the number of hours I've spent seeing you make it." My eyes widened, embarrassment taking over my senses once more,

"What?" I asked softly, turning to him, "You've been watching me?" He turned, laughing at my expression. He nodded softly, his gravelly tone sounding almost... flustered? No, I had to be imagining it.

"A little. You look cute when you paint... I kept seeing that frustrated look where your nose crinkled as you did it." I covered my burning face, letting out a small huff. Before I knew it, I felt comforting arms wrap around me, and Kevin placed his chin on my head. I leaned into his chest, "and the way you would smile when you would get something just right. I was wondering what it could've been that made you look so happy with yourself."