XIX

Getting home took far longer than I expected. Once I parked the car in front of the houses, I could already feel Kevin's eyes on me. I turned to look at him, pursing my lips,

"What?" There was a look in his eyes, seeming as mischief-ridden as always, yet I couldn't quite figure it out yet. Noting my confusion, he tilted his head towards the houses,

"No one's home." I scoffed, looking at the street and realizing he was right. I glanced back at him, studying the messy hair I had nearly memorized by now.

What was this boy thinking?

He caught me looking at him, his eyes flickered back to me, and then to my lips. Part of me wanted to blush and get flustered, to let myself enjoy the moment. Instead, my eyes traveled over him with the same careful stare.

They flickered down and caught sight of his hands. The same red tint as before, and obvious scratches on his knuckles. I remembered seeing them in science. This time, a part of me couldn't ignore it as I grabbed his hand. Kevin didn't flinch, just watching me with cautious interest,

"Is this why you were late to chemistry?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him. He rolled his eyes, pulling his hand back as he glared at me,

"Why do you need to know, Birdy?" I sighed, leaning back in my seat and returning his gaze,

"Not everything needs to be a fight, you know." His composure remained unchanging, and I couldn't help but wonder why he'd be hiding something so insignificant.

"Then it's not as fun to talk to you." He glanced at the door, and then at me, "You just have to stop being so stuck up." My eyes widened, and I held back the urge to slap him.

"Then get out of my car, asshole-" I began, one hand already on the car door, ready to leave. He laughed at my reaction, grabbing my forearm as he pulled me back. A part of me didn't mind it, glad to be closer to him. Now, I was staring into the same dark pools I had become so familiar with.

"I'm kidding, Cooper. You know I want to be with you. Let's go inside." He mused his words in a soft tone, my heart involuntarily skipping at the words. I want to be with you. I hated how much I liked hearing him say it.

I eyed him carefully, deciding not to give in entirely.

"Apologize," He stared at me with that smirk of his, and I kept my composure, "or you're not coming inside."

He studied me for a second, glancing down and noticing that I hadn't pulled my arm away from his grip. I mentally cursed at that, knowing he would see that as a small victory.

He seemed to think about it, before letting go of my arm. Instead, he reached up carefully, methodically tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. I watched his eyes as he did this, noticing the way he seemed to study my face.

What was he looking for?

Then, slowly, he leaned in, and pressed his lips against mine.

It wasn't a normal kiss. Or, well, it wasn't normal for us. It differed from the ones that took my breath away. The ones that were just an effort to regain control. This felt... heavy. Deepening, saturated. As if it was weighed down by a feeling neither of us wanted to admit.

And yet I found myself returning it, leaning into him and relaxing in his touch. I didn't understand it. Kevin could make me raise my walls as high as ever, yet crumble them just as quickly. He was poison, and a cure.

Moments like these couldn't last long enough.

Before I knew it, he pulled away. His lips were tinted a soft pink. His expression unrecognizable, silent, and so obviously unreserved. I searched for any of those sweet emotions you read about in the stories. The ones filled with a thousand prophetic confessions, or whispered promises that carried the weight of the world.