XV

Driving home, I couldn't help but think about Kevin. Science felt vacant without him, even though we did nothing except take notes. I guess I was just used to the comments and teasing glances. Having him around had become natural to me, and I only seemed to notice it when he was gone.

I grabbed homework for him, which was a small paragraph assignment he could get done easily—and printed out a copy of what I wrote down.

I figured I needed an excuse to go check up on him, and possibly apologize for spoiled food.

I knew it was less than likely, since fevers didn't seem to coincide with poisoning—but I wasn't a doctor, so I didn't know. Eva wouldn't be surprised to see my face, and maybe even be glad to see me.

Kevin was a nightmare to her usually, now imagine him sick? Eva must've been losing her shit, all to keep him comfortable while he berated at her ruthlessly. Or maybe spouting insults, since she couldn't really do anything to punish him while he was sick.

The idea made me laugh a little, but also seemed entirely possible. Kevin was just like that. I couldn't really tell him to behave, I wasn't his parent.

And, is he wasn't an asshole, he wouldn't be my Kevin, now would he?

I paused, my hands clutching the wheel at a stop light as I blinked. Did I just say my Kevin?

I could feel myself sigh, trying to take the idea out of my head as the light turned green. We weren't even dating and I was calling him 'mine'. God, I needed to snap out of it.

I wasn't about to fall for the rudest boy I've ever met, and frankly the most unpredictable one. Kevin and I might be blurring the lines of friendship, but we weren't a couple.

What consisted of a relationship anyway?

Dates, which was something we never did. Hanging out often, which me and Kevin could technically be.... but it was gonna blow over soon anyway. I had just gone over to his house a couple times, it was nothing.

Talking often, which was hindered from not giving him my phone number—though he did go out of his way to talk to me a decent amount. And, meeting parents! Which... we... had done?

Things were moving faster than I realized. I guess nothing was official until it was official, but I guess we were something.

I liked him, I knew that much. Yes, spending time with him made making friends a bit harder, but I knew I would be totally alone otherwise. I didn't just... go out of my way to talk to people. I preferred when they spoke to me first, and then I could handle a conversation easily.

Kevin just had the chase aspect down, though to be honest I wouldn't be shocked if I found myself searching for him instead. It was hard, we had lockers together and he always got there faster—but I knew I enjoyed having him around me. The banter was fun, and much better than the silence I would've had otherwise.

He was just my person—or well, my type of person, but there didn't seem to be a lot of people like Kevin at our school. It's what made him the type of person he was. He seemed like hell to get too involved with, but I guess that's what I was doing, wasn't I?

I began to snap out of it when I found myself parked in front of my house. I sighed, getting out the door and locking it before heading into my house. I had closed the door behind me when I heard a soft vibration in my back pocket.

I slipped off my shoes, giving a quick sweep of the house and realizing pretty quickly that Lara hadn't come home yet. I headed upstairs, suppressing a yawn and pulling out my phone.