32. 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴'𝘀 𝗶𝗺𝗽𝗼𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗮𝗴𝗶𝗰

THE DRIVE WAS UNCOMFORTABLY UNBEARABLE. While heading toward Agnes' house, Eszter couldn't stop bouncing her leg anxiously, going through different scenarios. The entire ride, Eszter wondered what had freaked Agnes so badly; what could be so important that Agnes resorted to asking Eszter for help. Surely, Agnes would've asked Welsey, a more knowledgeable witch with a better chance of helping the woman solve her situation.

For as long as the drive had been, Eszter sat in the passenger while nibbling on her fingers, running through each scenario that could justify this--okay, so, Eszter might've left out everything Wesley had told her. But can one blame her? How was Eszter supposed to react to that?

It didn't matter because there's no way, absolutely no-way-Eszter-can-bring-back-the-dead. She felt dizzy every time the memory resurfaces.

Eszter glanced out her door window anxiously, eyeing the scary-looking sky that never seemed to have dissipated, even after storming off from Wanda. Eszter figured it might've been nothing, but the longer she stared at the sky, the more the witch started to acknowledge how strange it was. But Eszter shook her head, scolding herself for overreacting. Eszter was merely freaking herself out, and after Wesley's little . . . whatever that was . . . it definitely didn't help Eszter's anxiety the slightest.

Although loud and spontaneous, Agnes was uncharacteristically tense and too quiet for Eszter's comfort. She couldn't seem to figure out what was to behold back at Agnes' house, especially the look on Wesley's face once he realized what was happening; does he know? Most likely. However, Eszter needed to know what the hell was going on. Wesley was acting strange when he begged Eszter not to return to his mother's house--he even referred to her as Agnes opposed to Mother. But Agnes . . . the woman looked like she'd seen a ghost and sought for Eszter as if she'd be able to do something, but what if it's not what Eszter expects?

Great, now Eszter's stressing herself out.

Barely being subtle, Eszter glanced to her left as she studied Agnes' expressions as if she was trying to figure the woman out, but to no avail; it was near impossible. Agnes must be impossible to read, but Eszter noticed how the woman gripped the steering wheel so tight. She wondered if Agnes squeezed any harder, it would snap in half. But then, Eszter was split from her thoughts when something heavy weighed over her like a weighted blanket, and a sinister feeling sent chills down her spine.

"Whoa," Eszter sat forward in awe, drawn by the heavy energy filtering her senses.

It was difficult for Eszter to describe what it felt like, but if she had to, she would describe it as dark and heavy; it was like something wicked struck Eszter in a good way. Even as far away as she was, Eszter couldn't believe she hadn't felt it before, though she silently wondered what the shift was. But the feeling intensified when they pulled into Agnes' driveway, and Eszter struggled to focus on anything but the energy buzzing through her veins.

"Agnes?" Eszter called, holding her breath.

But the woman didn't respond; the woman crawled out of the car, and Eszter followed, hurrying out of the car and rushing around to follow the woman toward the front door.

"Quick," Agnes beckons.

A puzzled Eszter stepped into the house and, silently gasping under her breath, the witch scrunched her nose; whatever the hell that was, Eszter could smell something pungent, tainting her senses. It was the vilest smell she'd ever smelt, and it was starting to freak Eszter out. But how was Eszter supposed to tell Agnes that there's something probably rotting in her house? I know things are a little serious right now, but do you not smell the literal death here? Yeah, no.