chapter 16 - new beginning, new end

Word count: 9301

Your P.O.V:

Christmas came by quicker than I'd expect. In fact, this year has flown by quicker than I'd expect. 1998 was a year I wouldn't think would hold so much chaos for me, but it had. In the worst ways possible. It's humorous, because this time in '97 I thought I'd still be with Brett by now, bleeding through his insults and ignorance because I felt as if I had nowhere to go in life. Funny how things rapidly change in the span of a year. In fact, this is going to be my first Christmas without Brett. He never really celebrated it. Not for any religious reason, he just found it stupid, which meant I could never get him gifts or decorate, otherwise he'd give me hell. One year he got me something as a gift, but only because he was high. and when he did it, he did it last minute, but it was still nice to experience. Larry on the other hand celebrates it, but finds it kinda corny. He only likes it for the gifts, he claims. But even if he finds it corny, he'd still suffer to let me decorate his apartment, but on the singular condition that I 'take it all down on the 1st of January and no later.' His words.

Though he did help me decorate. He's an extra pair of hands. And really handy ones too. I couldn't just put up a whole tree, decorate it and put up banners and tinsel by myself. Otherwise by the time i'd be done, it'd be next Christmas instead of this one. He made everything look so beautiful too. I hadn't decorated for Christmas years prior, so I was kinda lost. But Larry helped tons, considering he'd do it every year with his mom. He made the tree glisten, and stand out with it's collection of trinkets and baubles of all different colours on the tree. But mostly cosy, festive colours, like red and light brown. He even took me through the stories of how he got some of them. For example, one of them was an imprint of Gizmo's paw print in clay that they made back in 1992 when Sal and Larry were around 16 or 17 on the first Christmas Sal spent at the apartments. I found that pretty cute.

But as of currently, I had been admiring that tree that I didn't really notice the dozing man next to me. I looked to my right when the weight of Larry's head on my shoulder felt heavier than I could recall, and I heard little snores to signify an asleep Larry. I was right. He fell asleep. He didn't even make it half way through the movie. Granted, it was a Christmas movie that he's seen over and over, and I've only seen it once. Larry only had it in VHS, but I liked it. It gave that comforting feeling.

Plus the running around we've been doing all day today probably tired the hell out of him. It's Christmas Eve, after all. Having to make sure you have presents for everyone, and that they're just right. We went to the huge mall that we went to the day Larry asked to be my boyfriend, and it was like casually standing dead centre in a stampede. Just havoc. People running around getting clearance offers and getting last minute presents. In my case, I wanted to make sure I got everyone presents. All of Larry's friends are such wonderful people that have helped me through so much and have been there for me at the roughest points of this year. I needed to give thanks for that.

Getting home and wrapping it all up was fun. Well, the wrapping part, not really. I'm the worst at it and I needed Larry's help when it wasn't his presents. It was fun seeing all that I bought, and imagining everyones reactions. I was confident in thinking everyone will enjoy their things. It was worth saving up cash since August to get everyone decent gifts. Larry did the same thing with painting commissions. He worked his ass off on huge paintings that he'd charge $600 for a piece, which I think is totally ridiculous. The canvas' would be as tall as the ceiling, and he'd charge that low. He's way too modest. With Larry's gift from me to him, it wasn't something I could wrap. And it was for me and him, and I'm praying he's gonna like it. I already told everyone what it was, and me and Sal made up a plan beforehand because he has a gift to go along with it.