Chapter 6

You make your way to your camp, and a person with white hair also follows along, holding your supplies.

You two haven't said anything for a while now after you left Side A.

"What are you gonna do with the person you take" he breaks the silence.

You put the supply into the cabinet, "take care of him until his arm gets better," you said, "he did want me, after all."

He nodded as he understood, and he looked around—no one around except for the patient that is resting. You signal him to be quiet and leave.

Standing outside is hot; you don't sweat much, but the heat kills you. Cyno pulled you to sit under the sheath.

"Thanks!..." you feel relief, "sorry, I don't say much in the camp; I want everyone to rest peacefully."

"That very considerate of you," he said,

"...It is?" you turn to him confused, "I'm just doing what common thing is" you let out a small laugh.

"You've been in Side E all this time?" he asks

"Yes,"

"Why? Didn't you assign to Side A with a better environment?"

"Ah...well, someone got to take care of Side E," you shrug it like it's nothing, "if it were you, you would have done the same," you smile.

"...why do you think so?" he asks another question.

"Because...you," you turn to him, "you give out a vibe of justice," you giggle, "ha...that come out of nowhere."

He didn't say anything and got up, "the sun is going to set soon. Get something to eat and go rest," he said.

"Sure, same to you!" you smiled, "if you get hurt, come to me anytime~ but not too soon," you teased at the last part.

"Mhm, thanks for the remainder," he said and left.

Watching his back as he walked away, "what an odd guy," you said, "maybe I should get ready for dinner too."

You prepare dinner for the patience in the camp, adding nutrition here alone. After they all finish eating, you grab yourself a dish but "all out?" you tilt your head.

"Y-yes...we give out the last bowl...I'm sorry! I thought we give it out to everyone! And give the last serving away..." she bows her head down.

"It's fine, don't be like that," you let out a small sigh* "anyway, I'll go now," you said and left, letting her feel bad for you even more.

You make your way to where you sleep every day. Flop down on the ground, leaning on the beast, "I'm tired..." you get something out of your backpack and take something that neatly wraps, "emergency food," slowly eating what you have.

A little later,

Looking up at the sky filled with many stars, you feel left out, like the world is quiet and it is just you.

You hear footsteps coming toward you, and you turn to see the same surprised face "why do you always make that kind of face when you see me, Cyno?" you let out a small sigh* of relief.

His eyes widen as he sees you smile, "what are you doing here?" he comes next to you, kneeling to your height.

You got taken back when he suddenly got too close "...I'm sleeping here," you reply,

"What about your camp?" he asks,

"I give it away," you smile, "besides, I like staying here more... it's more comfortable," leaning on your beast, "and my good friend here become my best pillow" the beast let out a small roar, "hehe, so what are you doing here?" you ask him this time.

"I'm on patrolling," he said, "I heard that someone didn't get a shared meal today...does that someone is you?"

"...yes, don't worry, though. I ate," you show him a wrap, "it's like emergency food."

He looks at it and turns to you, who don't seem to be bothered by anything 'no...she was bothered with something this afternoon...' he remembers the scene this afternoon with you choking the medicine down on someone's throat '...' He sits down next to you,

"Don't you have a place you can go?" you ask, unbelievably of his choice.

"I will stay here too," he said, "I can't leave you by yourself," his reason.

You try to reason with him but choose not to be too "sure" you share your blanket with him, "it gets a little chilly at night."

"...I'm fine," he said, trying to give your blanket to you, but you stopped him.

"When people share or give, don't take them too lightly. You would make them feel awkward; also, you should say 'thank you instead," you said

He nodded and pulled the blanket to him a bit "thank you," he said, leaning his back on the beast "...soft," he mumbled.

"I know, it made me feel comfortable," you smile, you turn to him, but he avoids you "?" you tilt your head.

He might not notice, but his ear is slowly turning red. He pulls his hat down to cover his eyes.

  A while ago, you felt like it was just you, but now it is not just you. You have a company next to you. It might not seem much, but you don't know that you feel delighted.

  You were looking up at the star that shone brightly in the sky, remembering the patients you cared for.

"Cyno, I want to ask something," you called him, "is the front line that bad?" you ask after seeing everyone so busy in Side A.

"No... it's just little monsters that camp around."

"I see. Do you think we need this many people to come and clear everything out?" you ask another one.

He paused long and said, "no, we don't need that many people."

You turn from him and smile, "Thank you, I understand" you turn to the other side, try not to overthink, and go to sleep.

----

After you turn away from him, Cyno looks up at the star. He peeks over to you, who have already fallen asleep. He covers you with the rest of the blanket and gets up. He turns to you again, he seems hesitating to leave...and he comes and sits back down

'just a little more

To be Continued...