018

February 20th, 2022

joe's flight left today around 6pm, so he had to be at the airport around 4. he left sort of quickly last night so he made the mental note to stop by kenzie's to say bye.

kenzie is spending the day with travis and jason because it's the off season and she doesn't get to see them all together much.

"kanas city is trash." jason said once kenzie and travis picked him up from the airport.

"you are one to talk." travis said shaking his head. "philly isn't any better."

"kenz, why don't you move up to philly." jason said.

"i can't." kenzie said. "i got a job to be a photographer for the bengals so living in philly wouldn't make any sense."

"so are you gonna move to cinci?" jason asked. kenzie hasn't thought about it. going there would probably be the most logical option, but kenzie has lived in kanas city for so long.

"seems like a logical choice." travis said shrugging his shoulders like it was no big deal.

"i don't know." kenzie said. "i haven't thought about it."

"well, uh." jason said switch the topic. "what have you been up to since the last time i've seen you both?"

"not much, playing football." travis said shrugging his shoulders. "but i did get a girlfriend."

"really?" jason said. "who?"

"izzy." travis said with a smile.

"as in isabelle smith?" jason said as travis nodded. "so you broke up with kayla?"

"please," travis said squeezing his eyes shut. "let's not talk about kayla."

"i feel like i'm missing something." jason said furrowing his eyebrows.

"kayla came to my house last night with my father and told us they were getting engaged. then kayla tried to fight me but she didn't. then dad tried to swing on me but joe stopped him. it was insane." kenzie said shaking her head.

"who's joe?" jason said making travis smirk. "no way." jason said noticing travis's smirk.

"yes way." travis said nodding while smiling.

"there is no way." jason said shockedly. "you are dating joe burrow?"

"they just got back from going to paris together. this is like the real deal, j." travis said making his brother gasp.

"is that why you are being a photographer for the bengals?" jason asked.

"no." kenzie said speaking for the first time since their freak out. "i signed up for this before i even met joe."

"right...." jason said looking out the window. "so are we gonna go to dinner tonight?"

it was around 3 o'clock. it was too early to eat dinner. "it's only 3:30, j." kenzie said looking at the time.

"well it's 4:30 at home so." jason said shrugging his shoulders. "i'm hungry."

"we both know you don't eat dinner until at least 6:30 every night, sometimes later." travis said rolling his eyes playfully.

"so, how is layla?" jason asked out if the blue. why did he want to know how layla was doing? nobody even brought her up.

does her other brother have feelings for her other best friend?

"she's good," kenzie said suspiciously. "why do you ask?

"no reason." jason said quickly.

"i think jj here has a little crush on layla." travis said in a sing-song tone.

"shut up." jason said rolling his eyes. "i do not. i have more important things to worry about than a girlfriend."

"j, if you do like layla, she's in a relationship already." kenzie said.

"oh." jason said. "with who?"

"she won't tell me." kenzie said shrugging her shoulders.

"let's place some bets." travis said with a sly look in his eye.

"we will not be placing a bet on my best friends dating life." kenzie said looking at travis with a glare.

"okay," kenzie said as she pulled into her driveway. "welcome to the kenzie kelce household."

"it's nice." jason said getting out of the car. "but, could use a brush up here and there." he said jokingly.

"holy crap," jason said walking up to the door.

"what?" kenzie said walking up to it as well, travis following.

"you've got a not so secret admirer kenz." jason said pulling a note off of the door.

jason handed her the note and she read who it was from. it was from joe. she remembered what joe mixon had said and joe's hand writing was actually really good.

but what on earth was he writing her a note for?

dear kenzie,

i stopped by to say bye before my flight but you weren't home. by the time you are reading this i'll probably already be at the airport. sorry i didn't get to see you before i left.

i'll call you when i land.

-joey b

kenzie actually felt her heart sink. she let in slip her mind when his flight left. or maybe her subconscious did it to give him some space.

the time was only 4, his flight didn't leave until six. maybe she could catch him. she watched him book the flight, he was flying united.

she made the insane decision to drive to the airport to catch him. she put the note in her back pocket and ran back to her car.

"where are you going?" travis yelled from the front door where jason was.

"i'll be back." kenzie yelled getting into the car. don't blame her, love, or whatever you would call this makes people crazy.

she drove, quite a bit over the speed limit, to the airport. she made it at 4:30. the airport is 45 minutes away.

she parked her car, somewhere it shouldn't be and ran into the airport. she could go past baggage claim though.

she looked, and she couldn't find him anywhere. she even looked by other airlines and he wasn't there.

she sighed and walked back to her car. kenzie couldn't pretend it's okay when it's not. it was like death by a thousand cuts.

kenzie took the long way home. she sat and the red light once she left the airport and for some odd reason she spoke.

she was completely alone but she asked, "will it be alright?" as if she was speaking the to traffic lights. and if they could somehow respond, they would say, "i don't know."

kenzie's heart, hips, body, and love were under some sort of spell. she was trying to find part of her that joe didn't touch. not physically but emotionally. he was an addiction, and when he was gone, a part of kenzie felt missing.

is this what falling in love feels like? kenzie's heart was beating fast as she came to this realization.

you could hear it in the silence.

she could feel it on the way home.

she could feel it with the lights out.

she's in love. your in love.

and for once, kenzie let go of her fears and ghosts and let her self fall hopelessly in love with joe burrow. she was hopelessly devoted.

and all the girls dream that they'd be joe's partner. and joe only wanted kenzie and she finally realized that. he wants her now, in 10 days, he wants her always.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

love taylor swift references tbh

happy new year's eve!!

what was your favorite thing that happened this year?