022

February 27th, 2022

kenzie has been loved before. maybe not romantically, but she has been loved. my friends, family, and at one point in her life, herself.

but right now in this moment, kenzie's head laying on joe's chest. him drawing circles on her back. them both procrastinating getting up for the day, kenzie felt more and more like she was made for joe.

"it's national strawberry day." joe said opening his eyes slowly to the bright light peaking through kenzie's window.

they casted a perfect glow on her face. like the sun was made for her. like it was her golden hour. anytime joe looked at kenzie, it's like she slowed down time.

"i love strawberries." kenzie said smiling without opening her eyes.

"we should go strawberry picking then." joe said.

"okay." kenzie said getting up, walking to her bathroom to brush her teeth. a couple minutes later, joe joined her.

then izzy, then layla, then jason, and then travis. they were all brushing their teeth in kenzie's bathroom. how does something like this even happen? 6 people, sharing 2 sinks.

"do you guys wanna go strawberry picking with us?" kenzie said looking through her closet for an outfit. "it's national strawberry day."

"it's cold as crap, kenzie." travis said.

"darn it." kenzie said remembering the bad climate it kansas city.

"mmm, i think you have strawberries in the fridge." layla said shrugging her shoulders.

"we should cut them out into little hearts." izzy said.

"sounds good to me." kenzie said. "i'm gonna get dressed, give me a minute." she put on an oversized t-shirt and some grey sweatpants.

she started walking down the stairs. you can see the kitchen from the steps, like an overview almost.

she smiled at what was in front of her. it was like they had known each other their whole lives by the way they were getting along.

travis was trying to cut the strawberries into shapes, everybody was laughing at his failed attempts. somehow, chocolate chips cake into the picture. izzy and layla were laughing with the rest of the group, leaning into each other when they laughed, eating the chocolate chips.

kenzie joined them. "come here," joe said waving her over. "travis clearly doesn't know what he's doing." joe said with a laugh.

kenzie grabbed the knife from travis and grabbed a strawberry from the container. she cut the strawberry into a perfect heart.

"you did you do that?" travis asked, watching her cut another strawberry,

"it's not that hard." kenzie said shrugging her shoulders.

kenzie cut up the rest of the strawberries while everyone watched. jason reached for one, "wait, let me take a picture." kenzie said pulling out her phone.

" kenzie said pulling out her phone