⁸⁰ : reunion

mingyu woke up in a cold sweat, his hands immediately flying up to his neck and wincing when his fingers touched the areas hurt by rope burn.

he looked around, his eyes darting from side to side as his neck remained frigid, unable to move properly without feeling an immense sensation that made him want to disappear for a while.

although he had managed to gain consciousness and control over his actions early on, he could still feel everything esmeralda felt from fear to disappointment that was so tangible that it made mingyu wonder how someone who felt as much as her could live everyday life knowing that in the end of the day, the people around were but fleeting strangers.

without turning his head, mingyu walked straight, his legs still shaking as he did so but nevertheless he made his way down a winding staircase that seemed to go down forever.

he didn't know what exactly it was that was waiting for him down there but he definitely didn't expect to see wonwoo sat crosslegged by the fireplace, his wrists wound with a rope that seemed to have been tied in a rush.

"you're awake-"

"who tied you there?" mingyu said, rushing over to his side. "this place is so weird! why would they even tie you-"

"i tied myself." mingyu stared at wonwoo, the older of the pair staring down at his own hands. "i don't want to accidentally hurt you."

wonwoo shifted away from mingyu, going so close to the fireplace that mingyu feared his clothes might accidentally catch fire just through sheer proximity. "wonwoo..." wonwoo hummed in response, his hands laying limply on his lap as his eyes trained on the ground. "wonwoo, would you please look at me?"

wonwoo shook his head, refusing to do as told.

with a sigh, mingyu cupped wonwoos' face in his hands, making him look at him before placing a soft kiss on his forehead.

"i...i don't deserve that," wonwoo muttered as mingyu rested his forehead against his.

"well to me, you deserve all the love in the world."

wonwoo, despite his tied hands, reached up to touch mingyus' face, his fingers cold against the warmth of his skin.

"you almost died because of me," wonwoo whispered, mingyu taking his hand in his.

"that wasn't you — that was frollo," mingyu stated, fingers intertwining with that of wonwoos'. "i know that you would never intentionally hurt me."

a peaceful silence fell upon them, the only sound they could hear being the crackling of the fireplace as their hands stayed entangled with one another.

after a while, mingyu took hold of the rope tied around wonwoos' wrists and began to untie it, wonwoo simply staring at him as he did.

"aren't you scared?" mingyu mouthed a quick 'no', the rope successfully falling from his wrists. "you...you're really something else."

"is that a compliment?"

"i guess it is," wonwoo said, mingyu smiling at the uncertainty in his voice. "mingyu...do you really believe we'll work out?"

without missing a beat, mingyu attempted to nod, an immediate pain rushing up his neck when he did so but nevertheless, he smiled at wonwoo.

"i love you jeon wonwoo."

wonwoo stared at him, shocked at how easily those words left his mouth.

"you don't need to say it back-"

"i...i love you too," wonwoo uttered, heat rushing to his ears as a smile broke out on mingyus' face. "and thank you for loving me."

as mingyu leaned in towards wonwoo, a loud pop sound was heard, both of them instantly separating from one another and looking around.