36: My Saving Grace

GRACE

Demise was dramatic.

Because here she was, chopping chives, with Demise, Goliath, and five other enforcers in the kitchen watching her - watching Rosalie. Her knife slowed down as the awkwardness became too much. She was tired of this. Demise was more than strong enough to protect her, and she was damn sure Goliath would win the fight between him and Rosalie if necessary.

"Alright, enough. Michel, Travis, and Viktor, Christian, Thomas, would you excuse us?" They looked at Demise and then her. And she realized that she would never have the respect from them that Demise commanded. They would always be loyal to him. Her voice hardened: "now."

They fled. She sighed in peace and looked at Rosalie who sat at the table. "So, Rosalie, I was born in Pack Xerxes. I've never been to Pack Craxus."

"It's very warm, Prima Grace."

"Similar to Pack Stephan?"

"Yes, Prima. How did you end up in the capital?"

"I'm a Chosen."

"Fuck, I need to change that. Goliath, remind me to send in the paperwork."

"Doesn't matter, anyway." Goliath leaned on the island. "No other primus would dare summon her."

"They wouldn't know they're requesting her. I already have to live with the fact all four have requested a Chosen that looks like her."

"They have," she asked.

"Don't get so excited," Demise warned.

She shrugged. "I like being wanted."

He rounded the island and wrapped his arms around her, his head buried into her neck. She laughed, eyes closing and hands stopping what they were doing. Her laugh echoed through the kitchen and for a moment, she was lost with him. "No man will ever want you as much as I do."

Goliath's scoff of disgust forced her eyes open and back to reality. "Demise happy is unsettling and this whole display is making me lose my appetite."

"Anyway, anyway," Grace remembered, forcing herself to focus on asking Rosalie about herself. "Your mother, where is she? How is she?"

"My mother, unfortunately, passed away. I was raised by the segundas."

"Oh, I am so sorry to hear that." Demise's grip on her waist loosened from the somber news. "My mother is dead as well. How long have you been in Pack Craxus?"

"Since I was fifteen. My mother brought me here and raised me."

"Do you shift as a lycanthrope would?"

Demise looked at Goliath's brazen question.

"What," he threw his hands up. "Just a question."

Rosalie nodded. "I shift as the others do. I received my wings before my wolf."

"And your father was okay with you leaving faelands?"

Silence followed Demise's question. Grace changed the subject.

"Are you mated?"

"No," she laughed. "I could never be tied down to one individual for the rest of my life." And then, as if she realized who she was talking to, she said: "but I am sure if I found the one-"

"It's okay," Grace laughed. "I get it. My brother is the same way. Do you have any siblings?"

"Yes. They stayed in the faelands. They are dead."

And as the silence filled Grace's stomach, part of her wanted to tell her that there was hope that they are still alive. The other part knew that that secret had to be kept for now because it wasn't just about her. It was about the kingdom and if she wasn't 100% sure about Rosalie's loyalty, she wouldn't jeopardize that.