07: You Should Have a Female

The doctor said that because of the severity of the progression, he wanted to see her weekly. She couldn't afford that, but Demise agreed to the doctor's orders.

The doctor said that she should be taking a different set of medications, but they were more expensive than what she was taking now. Again, Demise nodded.

The Primus never left her side, never gave her and the doctor privacy. Privacy was nonexistent in the pack. The doctor came and stood in front of her, after handing her the prescriptions and medical plan. "Someone has told you the implications of your illness?"

Implications. Right, that's what he called it. She nodded. She didn't want to hear it again, but the doctor started speaking.

"Constant coughing, susceptibility to infections of the lungs, poor weight gain, difficulty breathing, a shorter lifespan–"

"Yes," she interrupted. She couldn't bear to hear more. "I know."

The doctor looked at her with such pity it made her skin crawl. She knew she was sick, but she hated when others knew as well. She felt weak...she was embarrassed.

Once they were done, Demise helped her back to the car. He turned the heat up far more than he had before as they started driving.

He must have sensed her mood change because he spoke. "You are going to be fine."

"Primus, I can't...I can't afford that medical plan."

"Don't worry about it."

"What? Of course, I have to worry. There's a reason why I didn't choose that plan in the first place."

"Don't worry about it, Grace."

"What–"

"I'll take care of it."

"What? No," she shook her head. "You can't pay for my medical bills."

He ignored that. "Is that what changed your mood? Your finances?"

She was an honest person. She had no reason to lie to him. "No."

"Was it what I said?"

She shook her head.

"Then what?"

"I don't like being reminded I'm sick. Every part of my life is dictated by an illness our species doesn't even usually get. When I wake up, I have to take medications. I have a port for the times I get really bad. I can't stay outside for long because I might get sick. I can't run. I can't...my life is just so boring."

"Boring?" He looked at her and she saw something flash across his eyes. He looked at her seatbelt and then the road. He turned on the sports mode in his car and looked into his rearview mirror before stepping on the gas.

She sat up then, looking at him. "You're speeding!"

"Are you scared?" He looked at her for a moment. She saw a glimpse of a smirk on his face before he started going faster down the road.

She laughed, covering her head with her hands. She was blushing, she could feel it. He shot down an empty street, slowing down only as they came to a bend in the road. He was a smart and talented driver. She had a feeling this wasn't the first time he tested the speed limit. He was cautious with her usually, but he gave her something no one else did; excitement.

Laughing as his tires screeched to a stop, she suddenly realized that was turning back into the capitol. She was a bit sad that their drive was reaching its conclusion.

He stopped in front of her cottage again but left the car on. She went to open the door, but stopped, looking back at him. "Thank you."

"I don't know why I'm doing this for you."