06: A Burden To Him

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄

"How long has it been since you've seen your brother?"

She was still here, sitting in front of him. They had been speaking for the last few minutes.

"Months. I am very happy to see him. He goes to university."

"You do not?"

"No," she said, shaking her head. "I wanted to, but I can barely afford his tuition. Besides, I'm sick...it's a lost cause."

"Why do you say that? You have an illness. That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue what you want."

"It does mean that I may not be around as long as others–"

"Enough."

He was stern and adamant. His mood seemed to change so quickly it almost gave her whiplash. She didn't understand why. She shifted in her chair. "I didn't mean to upset you."

He looked at her– no, he analyzed her –for a second. He went into his pocket and took out his phone. "How often do you go to the doctor?"

"Every few weeks–"

"You have Cystic Fibrosis. Are you not supposed to go every week?"

"Yes, but it's expensive–"

He opened his phone and then typed something. "Enough. Your medication, you take it?"

What was with him and that word? "Yes, twice a day."

"Enough."

She bit her lip, partially annoyed by his brisk interruptions. She bristled. "Why do you keep saying that? And why do you keep typing on your phone?"

He didn't answer immediately. He didn't even act like she had said something. He looked at his watch. Suddenly, he stood, grabbing her hand and pulling her to her feet.

She scrambled with a sharp gasp.

"You need to change," he said, though it was more to himself than to her. He started pulling her toward the door.

"What–"

It was cold in the hall as he walked down it. He was practically dragging her; he walked so quickly. He must have grown frustrated by her small steps because he stopped and picked her up bridal style.

"Primus, where are you taking me?"

"To clarify, you haven't been to the doctor in weeks and you don't have decent medical care?"

"Well, I mean, my medical bills tend to be expensive, so I try to budget. Why does this matter?"

He didn't answer. He brought her to her cottage where he put her back on her feet on her porch. "Go change."

She sighed, realizing she would listen to him regardless. She walked in and smiled at Malik who was looking out the window. He looked at her with wide, disbelieving eyes. "That's the Primus."

"Yes."

"He's standing on your porch."

She laughed. "Again, yes."

"He a big bitch–"

"He can hear you!"

He paled, looking out the window again. "Not bitch like bitch, but bitch like a big fella." He laughed nervously, swallowing. "Why is he here?"

"I don't know. He told me to change."

"Why?"

She realized then the robe was tightly wrapped around her. She looked away. "He's taking me somewhere." She didn't say more before walking into her bedroom and changing. She was quick and went out to meet him again. It was freezing out. She should have asked him inside.