04: Cystic Fibrosis

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄

Grace was confused but even worse, she was a bit sad. Sad that he wanted a chosen, just not her. She didn't know why it was such a major blow to her ego. She was a chosen. Her job was literally to satisfied the Primus and she even failed at that.

Why didn't he want her? Was she undesirable? Admittedly, she didn't think she was his type, but was she that bad?

Her ego was already pretty small as it was.

"–Grace?"

She looked at Ms. Moldova with a bewildered look. "Yes?"

"Sweetheart, you're thinking too hard. You've been scrubbing the same part of the floor for twenty minutes. What's on your mind?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, just a bit distracted."

"Just make sure to get your chores done."

"I will Ms. Moldova."

"Once you finish here, go to the third floor to clean the chosen room–"

Grace's eyes widened. Shaking her head, she stood up. "Wait, uh, could I go somewhere else today?'

"I'm sorry, Grace, but Primus took a chosen yesterday. It needs to be cleaned."

Yeah, she knew that. She didn't want to see the aftermath. She sighed and nodded at Ms. Moldova. When she knelt back down to scrub the floor, she took her time. She didn't want to clean the room.

Why not? She had no feelings for him.

Still, she didn't want to see the aftermath of sex with him after he denied her.

She finished in an hour and then slowly lugged her cleaning supplies up the stairs. She walked to the door, inhaling to prepare herself for whatever she was about to see. She pushed the door open, but was surprised to see it was in the same condition as when she left.

She was confused.

He definitely had two chooses here. So why was it perfectly clean? She shook her thoughts away. She had a job to do.

»»————-  ————-««

As she was buttoning her jacket, Gentry called her name. Grace and the other servants always kept their belongings in the servants quarters; an area specifically for them. She turned toward the advisor.

"You've been summoned again."

Grace shook her head, a small disbelieving smile on her face as she wrapped her scarf around her neck. "You should send another."

"No, he requested you."

"I assure you, he does not want me."

"What do you mean? He said he wanted the first chosen that was given to him yesterday. That's you."

"He did?" Grace shut her locker, picking up her satchel. "I don't understand."

"Aren't you curious then? Do you not want to see him again? You don't have to agree if you don't want to."

She took a moment to think. On one hand he clearly didn't want her the last time. Why would she want to relive that embarrassment? She had been his chosen and had cleansed herself for him. She'd waited and was willing to please him. And then he rejected her, only to call another woman to satisfy him. Why would he ever want to see her again after that?

On the other hand, Gentry said he wanted her specifically. Maybe there was another reason he had denied her. Besides, while she was a chosen, he always had the right to reject her just as she had the right to reject him. She wanted to know why he would take another woman and not her...she just wanted answers.