44: A Threatening Woman

GRACE

Outside the temple, light didn't grow. If life existed here, it was in the dark. Shadows flooded as far as her eye could see, and an eery chill crawled up her spine. She could never find solace here because she doubted it existed in a place like this.

The trees were bare of leaves, but attached to their branches were lanterns that never seemed to stop burning. In the distance, she saw a road lined with buildings that were dimly lit with similar lanterns. At the height of the hill was a castle carefully nestled within the mountain range that ran behind it.

"Where's the moon," Grace asked.

"The moon here used to be the most beautiful of all," Espen began. "But it was created through the magic of Regent Christos. He is gone and so his House misses him."

"When I visited it was truly a wondrous sight. It wasn't as dark as this."

Turning to her mate, she grabbed his hand. "So this isn't what House Nyght looked like before?" They began working and she looked at Espen as he snorted out a response.

"None of the houses in this realm look the same. None of them are thriving. They used to call House Nyght The Father and House Dae The Mother; one ruled light and the other ruled shadow. They looked after the entire realm of fae."

"So they were the Primuses of this world?"

Espen's face gave insight that she was slightly correct. "Not necessarily. Fae feared House Nyght and Christos ruled with an iron fist. On the contrary, Adalind's rule was rather... unnoticeable. The boundaries of their Houses were similar in geographic size, but Christos had more political importance."

Grace's hair stood at the mention of Adalind. "Adalind is the one behind the murders within our lands. Seems like she isn't that unnoticeable."

Someone hummed in agreement as they continued on. Demise pulled himself over a large boulder that blocked the pathway and then held an arm for Grace. She smiled and jumped up, landing on his back. She left him with a kiss.

His deep chuckle filled her heart with happiness.

"She always managed to get her way, though," Espen continued. "And her people, as far as I know, were happy."

Rosalie and Grace stopped and shared a look.

"What is that expression for?" Xerxes asked.

"She was playing the Regents," Rosalie commented. "A strong woman is threatening-"

"A weak woman is safe," Grace finished. "She presented herself as pliant but played political chess well. She needed to." Grace walked past the men. "No man ever respects a strong woman the same way he does a strong man."

"Are you suggesting a woman single-handedly manipulated eleven other Regents into satisfying her every whim?"

Rosalie grinned. "She's saying a Regent single-handedly manipulated eleven other Regents into satisfying her every whim and she probably looked beautiful while doing it, too."

"How did Nyx and Adalind gain the most land?"

Espen stayed silent as he lifted a branch for Rosalie to walk through. "There are rumors about how their families worked together to undermine the rest of the realm, but there are also other rumors that they have control over...a creature."

"Creatures with wings," Xerxes said, his chin jetting to Rosalie. "Large wings and scales. Creatures that can fly leagues above the world and scream fire from their throats."

"Can?" Grace couldn't help herself but ask. "You think the rumors are true?"

"Sweetheart, I think rumors and tales are all rooted in some extent of truth." And then Demise punched Xerxes, causing him to collapse, a silly grin etched on his face. He lounged for a moment. "Ah, the joys of being mated."