49: It Will Kill Him

GRACE

When the havoc calmed, Rosalie flew Grace back to her brother where Grace lay next to him for twelve hours. When she finally allowed gammas to take Malik away, Demise held her until she could walk again.

She felt as if she couldn't breathe for three months. During those three months, she held no responsibilities, did not garden, and did not make love with her mate. Demise never rushed her mourning. He took care of her day and night. He bathed her. He apologized to her. He did everything for the kingdom and then some so she could stay in bed.

It was on the first day of the fourth month that Rosalie had come to visit her. Until then, Rosalie and Goliath visited and spoke about their days with little response from Grace. Today, as Rosalie entered and settled on the floor beside the bed, Grace knew something was different.

"You raised your brother as your own and you feel as though it was your fault he was murdered," she started. "But Grace, your life cannot stop. Not now. You are a Prima." She licked her lip before continuing hesitantly. "Your mate needs you."

Grace's eyes snapped to Rosalie. Rosalie continued.

"Demise is killing himself so you can mourn. He doesn't sleep, and when he does it's only for an hour or so. He doesn't eat much. He spends all his time in his office." A pause. "The Regents of the fae realm have returned and they're working on establishing diplomatic relations, but Demise also has every aspect of his Kingdom to operate. Of your kingdom, Grace."

She neared Grace and stroked her hair. "I know what you had to watch..." She swallowed. "I am not asking you to forget what has happened." Her strokes stopped. "I am telling you that you are a Queen with a kingdom and have a King that needs you. You cannot allow yourself to grieve forever because Demise will let you and it will kill him."

It took another day for Grace to realize her friend was right. That morning, after Demise held her all night, she finally got dressed. She ventured to the kitchen where her friend paused their conversation.

"Grace," Goliath started, shock in his tone.

"Where is Demise?"

"Office," Rosalie said.

Grace murmured a thank you. As she neared the office, she knocked once and then twice before opening the door. Her eyes fell upon her mate and the sight turned her stomach.

Everything seemed the same, except the bags under his eyes made her understand just how tired he truly was. His wild ruby eyes crinkled in confusion upon seeing her. "Grace."

She failed as a sister. She failed as a mate. And she was failing as a Prima. She was done failing. She was so caught up in the death of her brother that she never realized Demise was grieving the death of so many lycanthropes. Yet, he continued on. He endured. He persevered.

He watched her almost die. He saved her.

"What are you working on?" She asked.

"Policy briefs regarding traveling to the fae realm."

"Enough," she interrupted, paying homage to how he used to speak to her. "Have all the Regents returned?"

"Yes, I-"

"Enough," she said again. She grinned at how he rolled his eyes at the reminder of their very first conversation. Walking to him, she crawled into his lap and swallowed the lump in her throat. "I have let you drown for too long and I am so sorry. I was so busy drowning myself that I didn't realize that you were keeping both of us afloat."

"Grace-"

"Enough," she repeated, a smile on her lips. She chuckled, her hand moving to the back of his head. "Enough." The word fell from her lips like an oath. Enough running from each other. Enough being lonely. Enough feeling alone. Enough being unhappy. They both deserved to be happy.