Chapter 8

The hard smack of the kendo stick across Jessica's back sent a jolt of pain through her body. It felt real, as did the subsequent strikes across her arms, legs, and chest. Each impact left its mark, leaving welts and promising bruises. But amidst the pain, Jessica felt a surge of determination. She wanted to fight, to push herself beyond her limits.

"Again," she said through gritted teeth, her voice filled with determination.

They had been out in the field for hours, the winter sun shining down upon them. The cold air bit at their skin, causing Jessica's teeth to chatter. But she ignored the discomfort, focusing solely on the fight. She knew that this was the only way to grow stronger, to push herself beyond her limits.

With each strike, Jessica's movements became more fluid and precise. She blocked and countered with determination, refusing to let the pain deter her. The snow-covered ground beneath her feet became her battlefield, and she fought with everything she had.

As the hours passed, Jessica's body ached, her muscles fatigued. But she refused to give up. She knew that this was a test of her strength, both physical and mental. And she was determined to prove herself.

Finally, as the sun began to set, they called an end to their training session. Jessica stood there, her body covered in sweat and bruises, but a sense of accomplishment filled her. She had pushed herself beyond her limits, faced the pain head-on, and emerged stronger.  She knew that this was just the beginning of her journey, and she was ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead. The cold winter air may have chilled her to the bone, but her spirit burned with a newfound fire.

 "I think that's enough," Jason said, his voice filled with concern.

"Do you think they're going to stop or let up?" Jessica argued, her determination still burning strong.

Amanda's sly smile slid across her face, clearly enjoying Jessica's spirit.

"I like her spirit," Amanda chimed in, earning a glare from Jason.

Throwing up his hands in defeat, Jason sighed. "Fine, once more," he conceded.

Jeremy charged forward once again, and the intense sparring continued. But this time, they all knew it would be the last round.

Later, they found themselves lying in bed together in Jason's room. Jessica lay on her stomach, and Jason gently traced the tattoo on her back with his fingers.

"So, are you going to tell me about this?" Jason asked, curiosity lacing his voice.

"Are you going to tell me about yours?" Jessica countered, her own curiosity piqued.

Jason sighed, his expression turning serious. "Mine wasn't a choice. It's my sigil, it binds me to this vessel," he explained.

Jessica nodded, understanding the weight of his words. "Well, mine was supposed to be smaller. It's in memory of my dad. He told me, 'No matter what you believe, what science says, always know you have angels watching over you'," she shared, her voice filled with a mix of nostalgia and longing.

In that moment, lying together in the quiet intimacy of Jason's room, they shared their vulnerabilities and the stories behind their tattoos. It was a glimpse into their pasts, a connection that deepened their bond.

As they lay there, their bodies intertwined, they found solace in each other's presence. They knew that they were not alone in their struggles, that they had each other to lean on and find strength in.

"He isn't wrong, I consider you to be my angel," Jason said, his voice filled with sincerity.

Jessica smiled as he brushed her hair back and leaned in to kiss her. But before their moment could continue, she playfully hit him with a pillow.