Chapter 3: A Place To Call Home

"Hello?" The teen picked up the phone in the school office, wondering who it might be. 

"Hey Tohru! Is everything fine at home with gramps? I tried calling the house but no one picked up. I thought I would call the school and talk to you. Are you alright?" a soft and soothing voice could be heard from the other side. 

"Aunty!" A bright smile erupted on the girl's face as she was delighted to hear her aunt's voice again after a couple weeks. It has been about 2 months since the two last saw each other. 

"I'm doing alright! The uh- phone has some issues..." Tohru spoke, thinking of a way to tell her aunt that the house was being renovated and she moved out. The girl fidgeting in her spot while twirling the cord. 

On the other side Kaede raised her brow while hearing her niece's wavering voice. She always had this tone when something was up. "Is that so?" Kaede responded with as she leaned against the bench and stared up at the sky. 

"I was worried since we'd always call and check up on each other. I thought you were busy and didn't want to bother you... But are you sure everything is alright? You know you have the key to the apartment so if you ever need a break from your grandfather, go to the apartment." 

"Y-yes! I know!" Tohru paused for a bit before continuing. "Actually, grandfather is getting his house renovated so I moved out a couple weeks ago. He's staying with his daughter... B-but don't worry! I'm staying at a friend's place!" A warm smile erupted on the teen's face as she thought of her new friends. 

Raising her brow once more, Kaede crossed her legs. "Hm? Is that why the phone wasn't  working?" Hearing a hum of confirmation, Kaede let a small smile tug at her lips. "So is it Uo-chan? Hana-chan? Knowing those two, I think I can rest assured. As long as you are healthy, eating well, and staying happy." 

Hearing those words made Tohru blush and smile wider.  She felt all the love from her aunt, no matter where they were the two of them were always close. "Hm! I'm eating really well! But I'm actually staying at a new friend's house! You know how Uo-chan lives in a small apartment and Hana-chan lives with 4 others. I couldn't intrude on them! But my new friends are really kind and nice! When you come back I want you to meet them! I know you would love them!!" The girl cheered as she thought of the memories she made with the Sohmas. 

"Ara~ They must be really lovely friends, Tohru. I'm happy that you made new friends and getting along with them. I should call their parents and thank them for having you over. Is there anything that they like? When I wrap up things over here, I'll brings some gifts. Is there anything you want in Fukushima?" Kaede smiled and opened a can of coffee. 

"No I'm okay! I..I would like to see you again aunty." Tohru began as Kaede gripped her heart almost spilling her coffee. "Oh! But you were asking what they liked, right? One of them is named Kyo-kun and he likes doing martial arts! He seems to like fried eggs. My other friend is Yuki-kun who has a secret base which is his vegetable garden! It was so cool! I helped him protect it when the typhoon came! Oh! They are very kind people and really funny!" 

Kaede chuckled as she listened to the girl ramble on about her new friends. "I'm glad that you're having fun."

"Honda-san, we're gonna start heading home." A voice was heard. Tohru looked up to see the teacher holding files and giving her a small smile. 

"Ah yes! I'm sorry! I lost track of time and seemed to keep you all!" Tohru apologized and bowed, before looking out the window seeing the sun lower significantly. 

"It's alright, head home safely now." The teacher bid and Tohru jolted as she checked the time, she didn't think she talked for so long. 

"Sorry I kept you on so long, Tohru. Get home safely and call me alright? You have my number, I'll just be a call away. Plus I'll be coming home soon, hopefully.... But I'll be there for New Years." Kaede stood up and dusted her pants. "I love you. Take care alright?"