Chapter 4: Family of the past

"I hate them! I hate them all!!! I hate you! They all treat me like trash, but you're no better than me! You have no value! You think they'll love you!? You think they'll give damn!? You can go die! None of them will care!" A certain hot headed girl yelled at another: a girl with light brown hair that shined in the sun, giving off a orange tint. A young girl who was a couple years younger stared at the yelling girl in front of her. 

"Nee-san." The young girl called out softly as she approached. The eldest glaring and stomping her feet against the dirt ground. It was only them within the park. 

"Don't call me that!! You shut up! You think you're full of it because they give you a glance!" The girl continued to go on. The light headed brunette continued to approach the older girl, causing Kyoko to push her back. The youngest falling and earning a bruise. 

With a wince, Kaede stood back up. "...Its all useless in the end. There's no point in living. Why am I even here?" The tempered child gritted her teeth together and began kicking the dirt and rocks around. 

Watching the girl let her anger out, Kaede softly spoke, "I don't think so." Her voice capturing the attention of the angry child. 

"Eh?! What do you know! You're only a child!" 

"You're a child too." She retorted back. Before the other could fight back, the youngest continued. "There's a reason why you're here, why you're alive. I think its so that I would be able to meet you." 

The eldest chuckled and gave a condescending look. "What's that supposed to mean? Your just another useless child that they birthed." 

"I know." The girl began as she walked closer to her sister. "I can see it. There is no love, I can tell the difference in the way my classmates are treated by their parents and ours. I can see that we mean nothing to them. But that doesn't mean we are worthless and useless. In that house, you're the only one that I have who can understand me." 

With a scoff, Kyoko gripped her hair and gave a glare. "Me? Understanding you?" 

"Hm. We both are suffering under the same circumstances. Both are struggling. Kyoko...Have you ever thought that while this world may not need us, we live for others that do. I've come upon that conclusion. The world doesn't need me to live and be here like you said. Our parents wouldn't care." Kaede bluntly stated making Kyoko tighten her grip and bit her lips. It was the harsh truth no matter how hard she wanted to deny it. Somehow this kid in front of her said it so easily. 

"I'd like to think that somewhere in this world, there will be someone who does need us. The teachers showed us a large map of the world. A vast and wide world with billions of people. Surely there are others who are struggling and dealing with their own pain. Maybe they need a hand, maybe I can be that person for them. Or maybe my existence will mean something for someone. Like how your existence means something to me. You being my sister is comforting. I like how you yell and tell me what you hate and dislike. I like how I can talk to someone where I can vent out my thoughts." Kaede rambled on as the sun dimmed and watched over the two girls. 

Kyoko stared at the youngest with wide eyes, ones with confusion and this unknown feeling that was bubbling in her chest. 

"While I might be able to to talk to someone and be with someone else. There will be no one like you. There is only one Kyoko and one nee-san that I'll accept." Raising her hand, Kaede let a soft and gentle smile grace her lips. "Will you accept me?" 

Kyoko stared at Kaede with wide questioning eyes until tears slowly dripped down her cheeks. "Huh? What is this?" Kyoko wiped at her eyes that continued to tear up. 

Kaede waited patiently and gently wiped away some tears. Looking up, Kyoko stared at her younger sister amazed at her words. A child who was years younger could say something so deep and meaningful. A child who would also share her own suffering. Maybe she could just accept this.