Chapter 12: Secrets

"Hm~" Kaede hummed happily as she ate an onigiri, relaxing on a bench just outside of the hospital building, surrounded by the trees and chirping of the birds. 

It was relaxing. Was.

Grabbing the ringing phone, Kaede gulped down some water and read the caller name before picking up. 

"My Book Knight!!! My Queen!! Kae-san!! The one and only, Kaede!!! Its been too long, my dear!!!" a voice shouted loudly as he listed off his nicknames to the woman, thus making Kaede flinch in slight embarrassment. Her ears being dusted in slight pink as he called her ridiculous nicknames that has stuck with her since middle school.

With a sigh and a small smile, Kaede held the phone away from her ear.   

"Hello!!! Its been a long time since we last talked!! I hope you had a wonderful New Years, my dear!! I hope you are not busy because I'll want to visit you today!! Though I have an appointment as of now!"  The person was loud enough to be heard miles away. 

"I thought we talked not to long ago, last week was it? And I got called into work, a patient needed me. But I'll be heading home soon. Just on my break." Kaede replied as she crossed her legs and leaned back against the bench. 

"Oh that is still too long! We've talked but have not seen each other for months! Maybe a year!! How astounding, you have to work on your days off too! I can go and pick you up!" On the other side the eccentric male waved his hands and sparkled as he walked towards his destination.  

Kaede sighed and took her hair out of the ponytail, letting her long hair cascade down her back. 

"Hahah, I guess so and by that you mean catch a taxi to get me." Kaede teased as she knew the male did not have a license much less a car.

With a smile, Kaede continued "I came back from Fukushima not too long ago, I told you that. I have some gifts I want to give you, but I left it at the apartment. It would be nice to see you again...Oh and that reminds me I just met Shigure a while back." Kaede informed as the male raised his brows and stopped in an empty park. 

"Oh? How did that go? You should have informed me if you went to go find him." The man's voice became slightly softer and he sat down at a bench, similar to the woman. 

"I didn't go find him purposely. I happened to meet him because of my niece. He seemed surprised to say the least, he asked me questions on how I was doing and everything. We haven't talked and seen each other in a long time, since high school. But he didn't seem to bothered by my presence - he acted as usual like we were mere acquaintances." Kaede mumbled out as she closed her eyes and tapped her foot on the cement. The sound of the birds, easing her mind just a little. 

Her memories of Shigure resurfaced and brought a slight furrow in her brow. 'He always had a way with his words and expressions...He is hard to read as usual.'

"...Well I'm the only one who kept in touch with you - the others don't even know. But you know they did that because-" Ayame explained with a saddened expression as old memories flooded their minds. 

"I know. I understand why. It's surprising how you went off and didn't listen to them, not even Hatori. But I'm grateful to you for all that you've done, so don't feel sorry anymore. Besides I was your friend first before any of them. So it doesn't really matter as much." Kaede retorted when she heard the saddening and disappointed voice of her friend. It was unusual for him to be like that or even so quiet. 

"Of course, my dear! Actually, speaking of Gure-san, I'm heading to his place right now! I plan on meeting my brother! Plus that girl...Tohru Honda was it? After all, I heard that they ran into Akito." Hearing that name caused Kaede to perk up and furrow her brows, her peaceful expression vanished.