Chapter 16: Lake House

"Huh?....Alright, I'll be at the hospital tomorrow.  Its just that one patient, right?"  Kaede spoke as sat on the stairs with furrowed brows.  "Okay, I'll be there.  Thanks, see you." 

Ending the call, Kaede ruffled her hair and made her way to the dining room to see the three teens quiet and eating awkwardly.

"Hey, sorry to leave the table because of my call."  Kaede apologized with a smile on her face and sat across from Tohru. 

"No worries!  Um...-"

"Hey, I'm home!"  Shigure announced as he sat down next to Tohru and grinned happily.

"Welcome back, Shigure-san." 

"Welcome back." 

"Ne ne! You all want to go on a trip tomorrow?"  Shigure began as Kaede watched the man's expression. Something about this felt slightly off.

"Huh?"

"Its golden week starting tomorrow.  We should go somewhere, since its a long holiday."

"What are you talking about, out of the blue?  Are you drunk?"  Kyo quips 

"Even if I'm drunk, I never act drunk."  the man retorted back with a smile, his hand still raised with a pointer finger up.

"You just always seem drunk."  Yuki commented making Kaede chuckle and turn away from the group.

"Let's go.  We can use the Sohma vacation house and facilities.  Don't you want to go, Tohru-kun?  Kaede?" Shigure ignored the two boys' words and glanced at the woman chuckling.

"B-but it was already so generous to allow me to go on the previous Sohma trip!"  Tohru exclaimed as she waved her hands around in shock.  Stopping her chuckling, Kaede looked back at Shigure.

"I didn't get to go that time, though!  Truly I wanted to go too.  I was so envious" Shigure responded as he lowered his brows and put on a pitiful face.  Hearing his tone and expression, irked Kaede off a bit as she raised her brow at his behavior.

'You are just trying to guilt trip her.  What are you planning?'  

"Let's go!" Tohru agreed with a smile

"You manipulator!!"  Yuki, Kyo, and Kaede shouted with tick marks on their heads.

"Well, them.  You three will be coming too right?  You wouldn't let it just be the two of us, would you?  That's it!"  Shigure grinned stupidly as Kaede put on a polite smile and clenched her fist.  The man knew he won when he saw the two angry faces of the boys and looked curiously over at Kaede.

'You perverted little shit--'

Letting her fist go, Kaede ruffled her hair.  "I won't be able to travel with you all when you leave.  I have an appointment at the hospital the first thing in the morning.  I'll be there all day.  So you can all go ahead."

"But, we can just wait for you to get off of work."  Shigure tilted his head. "I bet you haven't had a proper vacation either, Kaede!"

With a sigh, Kaede nodded her head as she saw her niece's pleading eyes.

"Its fine.  Just head off when you plan on going.  After I finish my work at the hospital I'll make my way over.  Don't wait for me."  Kaede told Shigure and then looked over at Tohru. 

"Just have fun and enjoy." 

"Ok, we'll be waiting for you then!"  Tohru cheered as Shigure then stood up and went to pack his things away. 

"Then let's hop in a car and drive away!!"

"Watch her for me."  Kaede spoke to the two boys as their gaze followed Shigure.