A group of dwarves and a skin changer

~some background info~

Kylaney was a loner and stubborn. she grew up amongst men, though, her father had taught her elvish. She didn't trust very many people, and found it hard to open up. she felt as if it was better if she didn't share her feelings and opinions. Her mother had died when she was at the young elven age of 50. She hated how men treated women where she came from, they treated them as maids and objects. People made fun of her for wanting to be a warrior, although, she was already more skilled in fighting than a grown man. She wondered if she lived amongst Elves, if they would treat her in the same manner, or treat her better.

~third person~

Kylaney was out hunting when she saw orcs riding wargs.

She saw shadows moving around and drew her bow. She crept along in the shadows quietly, toward the non orc beings.

After the orcs rode away she stepped into the light and pointed an arrow at a dwarf.

"Who are you? and why are you here?" Kylaney asked coldly. She had learned not to trust anyone. In fact she never really did.

She looks over at a tall man, wearing a pointy hat. He seemed to be a wizard.

"I am Gandalf the Grey." The wizard spoke.

"I am Thorin Oakenshield. This is my company. We are on a quest to take back Erebor."

Kylaney lowered her bow as a halfling ran up.

"How close is the pack?" A dwarf asked him.

"Too close. A couple of leagues. no more." The halfling replied. "But that's not the worst of it."

"Have the wargs picked up our sent?"

"We have another problem."

"Not yet. But they will do."

Kylaney continued to listen to their conversation until but something that was said grabbed her interest.

"There is something else out there." The hobbit informed them.

"What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf asked.

"Ye...yes. But bigger. Much bigger."

"Beorn." Kylaney whispered.

"You knew about this beast?"

"I say we double back."

"And be run down by a pack of orcs?" Thorin reasoned.

Gandalf spoke up. "There is a house...it's not far from here, where we might take refuge."

"Whose house?"

"Are they friend or foe?" Thorin asked Gandalf.

"Neither." Kylaney answered.

"He will help us, or he will kill us." Gandalf said.

"What choice do we have?"

"None."

Beorn roared and Thorin made his way to Kylaney.

"Come with us. And take refuge."

"I do not need your protection."

"Would you rather stay here to fight off orcs on your own?"

Kylaney finally agreed. Everyone ran off to take refuge.

They ran through the countryside, with the orcs and Beorn on their tail, making their way to Beoron's home.

"To the house!" Gandalf ordered. "Run!"

They made it through an archway.

"Get inside!" Gandalf rushed as everyone ran.

The dwarves ran into the doors, as if it would do something.

Morons. Kylaney thought.

"Open the door!"

"Quickly!" Thorin urged them.

Kylaney stepped forward, took an axe from a dwarf, slid it through the crack, and lifted the wood piece that held the doors closed.

Everyone ran inside. As they were closing the doors Beorn stopped them with his head.

They finally pushed the door closed and pushed the beast back.

"What is that?" A dwarf asked looking back at Gandalf.

"That is our host." Gandalf answered.

Everyone looked at Gandalf, surprised. Except for Kylaney who had already knew who Beorn was.

"His name is Beorn. And he's a skin changer. Sometimes he's a huge black bear, and sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but, the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not very fond of dwarves." Kylaney said.

Gandalf and Thorin looked at her surprised that she knew of him.

"How do you know of him?" Gandalf asked.

"Stories. Where I come from they tell stories of skin changers, especially of Beorn."

Gandalf nodded. "you live nearby?

"I live a couple of villages away."

"He's leaving." One of the dwarves stated.

Another dwarf stepped forward and pulled him back. "Get away from there. It's not natural. None of it. It's obvious, he's under some dark spell."

"Don't be a fool. he's under no enchantment but his own." Gandalf said.

"All right, now get some sleep. You'll be safe here tonight...I hope."

Everyone settled into a room and laid down some blankets to sleep on.

Kylaney found it hard to sleep that night. She later discovered Thorin wasn't able to sleep either. They stayed up up talking and getting to now each other. Kylaney later managed to fall asleep.

Hello, Mellons. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of Thorin's Jewel! ❤️ have a great day/night! See you in the next chapter! ❤️