Chapter 7: Change

The way I screamed at her earlier should've scared her away. She shouldn't be waiting for me to return. She should've left. But... when I get back to the table she's still there.

I pick up my jacket and bag.

"What are you doing?" She asks.

"I have to go back to work, I'm late." I explain but the real reason is because I'm scared of what she'll say if I stay.

"You didn't eat your dessert." She states.

"You can take it, I'm not hungry anymore." That is true. "I'm gonna pay thank—"

"No it's okay I've already taken care of it." She cut me off gently.

"Okay. Uhm... thank you for inviting me it was delicious. And..." I start fidgeting and look down. "uhm... I'm sorry for lashing out like that at you I shouldn't have reacted that way." I take a long breath. "Anyway, have a nice afternoon. Bye." I turn to leave but she stops me to hug me.

"I'm not angry at you, just worried... and you don't have to explain anything. I'll call you later." She whispers in my ear and I melt at her kindness.

We part away and I leave.

I take the subway to go back to the firm. My thoughts are spiralling. I'm glad she's not mad at me but... still I don't understand why I did it. I didn't control anything. I thought it was over. I thought I was past this. I didn't forgave her but I thought I could move on. I should be able to move on it was like fifteen years ago. I have to work on this.

As I head to my office, I make an important decision that will surely change my routine.

I wave to Julia, enter my office, put down my bag and go to James' office. I knock on the door. "Come in." I hear and go in. "Hi Alexia. You need something?"

"Hi James. I came here to give you this." I give him the paper I prepared in my office a few seconds earlier.

He read it. "You're resigning? Why? If you want me to change something here, I can do it."

"No, it has nothing to do with you, the firm, or the job. It's just me. I need to sort somethings out so I'm taking a break to do this."

"Oh... okay. Well, keep in mind that you'll always have a place here if you want to come back."

"Thank you. I just have one favor to ask you."

"Of course, ask away."

"Could you take Julia as your secretary? I don't want her to suffer from my decision."

"I don't have one since Michelle left, so yes I surely can."

"Thank you, James. Well I guess this is it. See you later." With that said, I leave his office.

And I hear him say a 'take care of you' as I leave.

I stop at Julia's desk before going to pack my things in my office.

"Yes Alexia? You need something?" Julia asks.

"I don't. I just— I have to say you are the best secretary I could ever have had and I thank you for all the work you did for—"

"Why are you saying that? You're not leaving are you?"

"I am. I'm sorry I just have to take some time for myself to figure some things out."

"Don't apologize, you have every right to do that." She stands up. "Come here." I go to her and she pulls me into a big hug. "I'm gonna miss doing all your dirty work and saving your ass."