Chapter 9: The run

I wake up with a start, making me sit up suddenly. My heart is racing, and my entire body is trembling. A shiver runs through my spine as my feet hit the cold floor. I head to the kitchen and I grab a glass. I put it under the tap and look at the water as it is trapped between the glass walls. I turn off the water, take a sip and put down the glass. I lean on the counter to breathe deeply.

"Alexia, are you okay?" I startle hearing El's voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine I was just thirsty." I lie reassuring her. I finish my glass of water to pull myself together as quickly as possible and walk toward her. "I'm gonna go for a run. Uhm, you can go back to sleep, I'm just gonna give you some comfy clothes and show you the spare bedroom."

"Uhm, okay, thank you." I head towards my room, and she follows me. "You're gonna run at this hour?"

I grab her sweatpants and a t-shirt "What time is it? 6? 5am?" and hand them to her.

"Actually it's 4am. Thanks." She states taking the clothes. Shit, guess I'll have to take a nap today. Usually, I can go a whole day with only 6 hours of sleep but 4 won't do it.

"Oh. Well, I won't be able to go back to sleep anyway, so better do something productive." I go past her and motion her to follow. I stop at the spare room. "This'll be your room for the rest of the night. The bed is already made, and you can call me if you need anything."

She enters the room and put my clothes on the bed. "Thank you." She stares at me, and I notice her cheeks blushing. "Can you show me where's the bathroom please?"

"Of course. It's right next door. Here." I indicate her the door.

"Thanks."

I smile and leave her to it to go change in my room. I take off my sweatpants to switch it with some running leggings and slip on a tank top over my sports bra. I put my hair in a ponytail and decide I'm ready to go. So, I head for the front door warning El I'm leaving.

I have been running for — I check my watch —fifty minutes so I opt to walk to get some rest. The run did me a lot of good, it helped me clear my thoughts and figure somethings out. I established this to-do list:

o   Visit my family while I'm in London

o   Gift shopping

o   Contact Linda to set up an appointment (I need therapy)

o   Plan a trip alone somewhere like in America Latina or Asia

o   Go visit Samuel in Mexico

o   Try new activities

o   Figure out what do to with my life

o   Tell El how I feel

I take a deep breath, inhaling the fresh air around me. I'm in Time Square — at night, so it's quite nice since there's hardly anyone. I put my hands in my pockets and shit! I forgot my phone and... my wallet and... my keys and my head apparently. Alright, I hope El doesn't leave before I get back or I'll be screwed.

I sit on a bench, enjoying the night air and watching the feverish light already beginning to make its way into the darkness.

After a little while, I stand up and decide to go back to running. I love running. ...maybe I should try the marathon this year. It's in November, so would I have what? like 8 months to train, that should do it. Ok I'm going to sign up!

"Alex?" I hear a familiar voice coming from behind me getting me out of my thoughts.

I turn around and see Natalia also in running clothes. "Natalia!" I go hug her.