Chapter 17

"You guys, I don't want you hanging out with them," Elena says. Bonnie and Caroline exchange a look. "Seriously, they are bad," she adds. "Elena," Bonnie says. "Did you know that they threatened Jeremy," Elena asks. "Was that before or after you endangered their sister," Caroline asks. "That part does not matter," Elena argues. "According to Damon and Stefan they manipulated them by saying Rebekah was going after me," Elena says. "But she did not go after you and you daggered her," Bonnie says. "I still think that they are dangerous," Elena says. "Yet, Damon and Stefan are the ones who have put our lives in danger," Caroline says. "I mean Grams died performing a spell for Damon," Bonnie adds. Elena looks at the two, "Are you going to stop hanging out with them or not," Elena asks. "Uh, no, they aren't," Klaus says, standing behind Bonnie as Kol stands behind Caroline. "I was not asking you," Elena growls at the two Originals. "Let's go," Caroline whispers to Kol.

"I see no lies," Jenna says. Caroline and Bonnie exchange a look, Elena's aunt was right. Damon and Stefan put both of their lives in danger and Elena did not even ignore them for putting her friends in danger. She just manipulated them into doing her business. 

***********************

The Mikaelson brothers knew that it would not take long for Rebekah to pull a party together, and when she was paired with Caroline they took less than a week to plan the whole thing. The invitations were already sent out and the girls were getting fitted for their dresses and the boys were trying to get out of their suit fittings.  

"I wonder how well that would work for us," Kol says. "I am going to go out on a limb and say not well," Klaus deadpans.  

The decorations were set up, the music was prepared and the party was underway. This ball was a sign for Mystic Falls that the Mikaelsons were staying and a message to the Salvatores that they had no shot against the most powerful family in history. Each Mikaelson was standing on the stairs, watching as their guests came in. Kol had an arm wrapped around Caroline's waist, Rebekah and Tyler's elbows were linked, Bonnie and Niklaus had their fingers intertwined and Elijah was standing behind Jenna, holding a glass of champagne in one hand and her arm in his other hand. 

"It's a powerful image," Caroline says. Bonnie nods, "And we are a part of it," she says.  

***************

Damon, Stefan and Elena were shocked by the Mikaelsons, they did not realize how much the family had infiltrated their lives until they saw them with people who used to be important in their life. But what shocked Elena the most was the woman who stood on the landing between the stairs. Abigail Bennett was overseeing the proceedings with Finn by her side. While Bonnie reminded Niklaus of Ayanna, Finn saw the same woman in Abigail. Elijah announced that they would start the ball with a dance. Each of the men escorted their date to the ballroom and the residents of Mystic Falls followed them. 

"Shocked to see me," Abigail asks Elena. "You abandoned Bonnie," Elena argues. "Darling, have you not been paying attention," Kol asks. "Her husband threatened Bonnie's family, the powerful side of her family," he adds. 

**************** 

After dancing together for several dances, Klaus spun Bonnie into his arms. "Follow me, love," he whispered. She smiled at him and nodded, the Original hybrid and the Bennett witch left the ball room and went upstairs. "And where are you taking me," she asked him as he led her through the upstairs of the house. Klaus finally stopped in front of a door, and turned back to the young Bennett witch. "Close your eyes," he asks. She gives him a look, but placates him by closing her eyes. He grabs her hands and pulls her into the room, he positions her in front of a large painting of her practicing her magic in front of a lake. "Open them," he whispers. Bonnie opens her eyes to see the painting, she remembered when he painted it. They were turning more hybrids and he had taken her on a date at this very lake.  Bonnie turned to him and moved onto her tip toes to place a kiss on his lips. He returned it eagerly, as he cups her face.

Elena rolls her eyes, she was not impressed with Bonnie's disregard for how Klaus treated her. What she did not notice was the smile that  stretched across Bonnie's face. Someone had chosen her before anyone else. "Nice finger painting," Kol deadpans. Klaus growls, "I was kidding," Kol says. "Touchy," he whispers. 

******************

Every time the music changed, Caroline moved to switch partners and Kol pulled her back. "You know that we are supposed to switch partners," Caroline whispers as Kol pulls her closer. "I know, I was there when they created the dance," Kol says. Caroline throws her head back laughing, "I don't want to let you go," Kol whispers. Caroline lets him hold her close as they continue dancing. When there is a lull in the music, Kol bends down and kisses Caroline. 

"Well, aren't you cute," Rebekah says to her brother. Kol smiles looking down, he did not want to admit it but the blonde was getting to him. 

Across the room, Elena glares at her former friend and the Original. "Do you think that he compelled her," she asks Damon. The older Salvatore shrugs, "Maybe, but how do we break the compulsion," he asks. "I want you to help me save her," Elena says. Damon nods, "Okay," he whispers. Kol growls in Caroline's ear, and she pulls away to see veins under his eyes, "It's okay," she whispers. "You didn't compel me," she whispers. 

"And who is whipped now," Klaus asks his brother and sister. "Still you," Rebekah says. "But also both of the Salvatores," Kol says. "And Kol," Rebekah adds.