Chapter 11

POV: Eden

POV: Eden

I button up my white dress shirt and leave the top open. I slip on dress shoes and exit the bathroom. Edith is curled up on the couch munching on snacks that she requested from me since I won't be home tonight. She tilts her head up and I come into her view.

"Wow, you look pretty snazzy," she says grinning at me. "Who's the lucky lady?"

I roll my eyes at her. "No one," I say plainly. She frowns. "I don't want to go with anyone. It's just a dumb dance." I say. Ella-Mae asked me to go to the dance. Initially, I said yes so I didn't embarrass her in front of her friends, but I pulled her aside to tell her I wanted to go solo. She looked sad but what else should I have done?

"Who's Alyssa going with?" She asks.

I shrug unknowingly. "Not sure, don't care." I hear rummaging around in Alyssa's room. No doubt she's running around like a headless chicken; getting ready.

"Maybe you two should go together," Edith suggests.

I scoff, "As if I want to be caught in a 10-foot radius of that woman." I lie. Her presence was manageable.

I knock sounds from the door and I groan and stomp to answer it. "What?" I ask, annoyed. My eyebrows raise when I see Jax standing on the other side with a red tie.

"Eden?" He asks, raising a brow.

"Hey," I say, narrowing my eyes; trying to figure out what he's doing here. "What do you want?" I growl.

"I'm here for my date, duh." He laughs and his white teeth shine.

I quirk a confused brow. "Who exactly is that?" I ask.

"Alyssa," he states. I clench my fist around the doorknob. The fuck? Anger flows through my veins. For what reason? I don't know.

I scoff and walk to Alyssa's door. My fist knocks harshly against it. "Your date is here," I shout into the door.

Her door immediately swings open and I'm met with her in a floor-length red dress that has a slit, showing off her tan legs. My jaw clicks and my nostrils flare.

A satisfactory grin appears on her face. "See you at the dance, lover boy," she mutters before knocking her shoulder against me. She's the spawn of satan.

I watch her hips sway and she links her arm with Jax's. I don't look away when I see them retreating down the hall. His hand grips her lower back and my chest heaves up and down. I don't think as I whip my phone out and text Ella-Mae.

Me: I take back what I said. I'll be at your dorm in 10. Cancel with whatever asshole you asked to step in.

Alyssa is a loaded gun ready to fire. I can't believe she has the nerve to go with that idiot. I thought we were making progress. I thought maybe we could be semi-friends. She threw that all out the window when he showed up on our doorstep. If she wants to play that way then game on.