Chapter 25

POV: Alyssa

POV: Alyssa

I twist in the mirror to get a good look at myself in my bright red bikini. I was having a good boob day and I was not going to take it for granted. I leave my hair long and curled and trail outside to the hot tub.

I find Eden sticking his hand in to check the temperature. My eyes roam his body. His black swim shorts cling to his hips, hanging dangerously low. The view of his pelvis makes my knees weak. The pink scar on his abdomen is prominent as well and I wonder what the true story behind it is.

His actions remain fairly normal, but the look on his face says otherwise. Pained. My heart squeezes at that. My mind whirls with all the questions I have. Did he lie about where he lives? Is he not some rich asshole that I pegged him to be? If so then why didn't he tell me?

I stop in my tracks when his back turns to face me. My breath hitches. His back is littered with scars. My stomach lurches. What the hell are those from? I bite the inside of my lip enough to draw blood.

He runs his hand through his tousled hair. He turns back around to see me watching him. Eyes electric blue eyes roam my body. But for some reason that's the least of my concern. I want to know what's going on and I'm going to get it out of him somehow.

"Hey," I break the silence. My voice sounds different, softer than usual.

He doesn't respond. He just looks at the starry sky and then back to me. He stretches his hand out for me. I hold my breath as I accept it. His freezing hand cools the magma in my veins.

He helps me into the hot tub before crawling in after. The hot water instantly warms me up, defying the cold temperature of the night. Eden hisses as he submerges his body.

He tips his head back and sighs. Fog leaves his mouth. He's hypnotic. It's almost like looking at him is a sin. My whole body feels like jelly. I look up at the sky and try to collect my thoughts. "It's a nice night out," I say. He hums in response.

My brows knit together. I wish he would just talk to me. I hate that I have to ask. I've never had to pry information out of someone before. I can usually read someone like a book. But Eden is unreadable. Every page I turn contradicts the other. A book of lies.

He remains looking up at the sky as I scoot closer to him. I stop when our knees touch. His body automatically stiffens, but he doesn't move away.

I look at the bubbles from the jets. "I'm sorry about my dad. He was being rude," I say. I could see how uncomfortable he made Eden. It pissed me off and I felt the need to protect him.

Eden shakes his head and finally looks at me with the same unreadable expression. "He has every right to question me. I showed up on a family vacation as a stranger."

I roll my eyes. "Stranger or not. It was obvious that you were uncomfortable. He should've dropped it."

He smiles at this and the hand that rests on the edge of the tubs moves to grab a stand of my hair. He examines it as the wheels turn in his mind.

After a moment he finally speaks. "I don't like speaking about my parents." He says as a grimace appears on his face.

"Why?" I ask, avoiding his silent warming.

He looks away from me. "Some people aren't worth talking about."

I tilt my head at this. "But they're your parents," I say. His face contorts into a glare. I continue to poke the bear. "You live on the East side, don't you?" I state.

He remains silent, but I can tell he's slowly losing his cool. He drops the strand of my hair and looks the in the opposite direction of me.

"That's why Edith said it was dangerous outside when you were younger," I say connecting the dots. That means those scars... I look at a tiny scar on his wrist. It looks awfully like a cigarette burn.

Eden's jaw clenches. "Why can't you mind your fucking business? My life has nothing to do with you so can't you just stay out of it." He says harshly. My heart lurches.

I try to grab his hand but he rips it out of my grasp. He looks at me with disgust. "Do you find pleasure in humiliating me?" He accuses me.

I shake my head and tears sting my eyes. Why am I crying? "Are you going to cry? I have nothing to do with you. Do you pity me? You think I'm some charity case, Princess?" He argues.

A tear slips out and I wipe it off my face before it can drip any further. "I'm crying because you're being an asshole!" I shout. The anger on his face leaves for a moment then quickly returns.

His fists ball. "You're right I am an asshole. So why don't you just find another boy toy that'll treat you better? Maybe he'll even take you on a fancy date."

Another tear slips out before I can stop it. "So that's what you really think of me. That I'm some stuck-up bitch."

My bottom lip trembles. His face returns to being stone cold. "I don't know you. I don't care for you. Do I have to say it again? I don't care what you do."

"I just want to know the truth!" I exclaim. I look back down at the bubbles as embarrassment fizzles inside me. "I let you get intimate with me and I don't even know the basics about you," I whisper loud enough for him to hear.

"The only reason you let me is because you thought I was some rich kid that would boost your ego." He spits. "It wasn't hard either. I got into your pants without even trying."

My body stands robotically. The heat is becoming to be too much. I feel humiliated. Almost worthless. I trusted Eden with my body and unbeknownst to my heart. And he just tore it up and threw it in my face all because I want to know the truth.

He scoffs and continues my beratement. "And even now you want me. It's obvious."

Eden also stands. Water droplets run down his body and even though I currently hate him I watch them disappear into his shorts. I'm weak for even looking. He rights. I still want him. That's how desperate I am.

I scowl at him. "Fuck you!" I shout as I scurry out of the hot tub. My leg catches and I tumble onto the floor. I hiss in pain and my ankle burns. I immediately feel his hands on me. He says all this hurtful shit but still feels the need to protect me. "Get off me! I can handle myself." I wiggle out of his grip and wobble as I get my footing again.

Tears of pain from his words and my ankle stream down my face. I don't look back at him as I limp inside and to my room.

I crawl into bed despite my soaked body and bikini. I curl into a ball and silently cry. This time I don't seek Arlo to make me feel better. I need to be strong like I used to be. I need to grow a pair. I did this to myself.