Chapter 30

POV: Eden

POV: Eden

From birth, I've been around drug users. Kids growing up around them go down one of two routes. They either rise above the trauma and resent any form of drug abuse or they become users. I like to believe I rose above.

Edith and I have seen the worst side of drug abuse. I pray each day that she follows in my footsteps. Since she's been a kid I've been picky on whose she's been friends with. Let's say I dug into everyone's past that dare stand next to her.

Now that we're not living together it's been harder to keep a close eye on her. I call her often to check up on her but it's not the same. I guess that's a bad habit I've picked up over the years. A habit that has also focused on Alyssa. A habit that has also turned into an obsession.

I feel as though I've failed Alyssa. I should've been there to protect her. To convince her to say no. I sound like a D.A.R.E. officer at an elementary. My next step may be forcing her to sign a "Say no to drugs" poster.

My mind is boggled that she even did that. I've known her for a long time and I know she's never dabbled in drugs. Now I'm not so sure that wasn't her first time.

I'm also surprised she failed to mention she has until the end of the week before she resigns. I know she doesn't owe me an explanation though I feel I deserve it.

I may have a soft spot for Alyssa but I will not go easy on her. She has to learn her lesson. I am not some babysitter or a toy she can play with.

Around the afternoon I wake Alyssa from her deep slumber. "Wake up!" I shout. She gasps and jumps up in bed.

"What? What?" She shouts in surprise. Her wild eyes beam around the room. She jumps even higher when she spots me beside her. "What are you doing in my room, Eden?" She asks in horror.

I roll my eyes and sit beside her then set down the glass of water and ibuprofen I brought for her. "Take this," I instruct her.

"I can take care of myself!" She argues.

I give her a pointed look. A look that says "Don't fuck with me." Her lips clamp shut. "Yeah, you take care of yourself very well. Taking drugs, stripping your clothes off, and throwing yourself at me is very responsible."

Her eyes widen at my words. A look of shame washes over her. "What the hell is wrong with you? Is that what you do now? Fucking up your life is the new trend your following, huh?" I continue.

She remains quiet and avoids all eye contact. "You could've gotten hurt," I say taking a deep breath.

She finally peers up at me. "What were Gemma and Levi talking about?" The dreaded question rolls off her tongue.

My shoulders tense as if I've walked outside into a blizzard. I should've told her sooner about the video being sent out by Gemma and Byron. But I couldn't. It would ruin her.

Her eyes narrow into slits. "Why do you look like that?" She asks. I remain silent as if someone sewed my lips shut. "What aren't you telling me?" She asks.

My fingers pull at the roots of my hair. "I should've told you this sooner," I admit. The room goes silent besides the thumping in my chest. "Gemma was the one who had Byron send out the video of you."

I wipe my sweaty palms on my thighs and turn to gauge her expression. It's blank. Her icy eyes hold no emotion. Her lips are slightly parted allowing a small breath of air to escape.

A laugh escapes her mouth. "You're lying." She looks me dead in the eye as her face contorts into disgust. "Gemma wouldn't do that," she states.

"But she did. She admitted to me herself," I tell her but she's not having it.

"You're a liar!" She raises her voice. She pulls the covers off her body and scoots off the other side of the bed.

My jaw clenches. "I'm not a liar. You just refuse to listen. What would I gain by lying to you?" I ask as my head cocks to the side.

Her eyebrows pull together as her lips form a thin line. "You never liked Gemma," she tried to pull together an explanation.

I push off the bed and stand to my feet. "For good reason. She's a snake." Alyssa shakes her head in denial. I roll my eyes. "Do you remember Gemma and Levi's conversation last night?" I ask.

She looks away in thought. "My memory is hazy," she states.

"You took molly that Levi gave you. They plan to tip off the administration and get you drug tested. They're trying to ruin your reputation." I remind her. She was crying last night when we overheard them.

Alyssa's skin turns a shade lighter. "That actually happened?" She asks. "I thought I had a bad nightmare."

Her eyes fill up with tears. I take a step toward her for her to only take a step back. "It can't be real," she whispers.

My heart lurches in my chest. I can't imagine how she must feel right now. Betrayed, lied to, heartbroken.

"Why didn't you tell me you were resigning?" I ask with a gravelly voice.

At the question, she breaks out into an ugly sob. "Why do you even care? You probably want me gone! I'm just a dumb piece of meat to you!" Her voice cracks as tears fly from her pale eyes.

"If I didn't care I wouldn't be dragging you home from parties. If I didn't care I wouldn't have broke Byron's face. In your heart of hearts, you don't believe I care for you?" I ask. My chest rises and falls in a rapid symphony.

She studies my face as if she's trying to put together an impossible puzzle. "I care, Alyssa." I groan as I brush my hair with my fingers, tugging once again on the stands. I plop down on the bed with my back facing her. "I've always cared. Ever since I've met you I've cared. Even though I don't want to. Even though I try to hate you." I cover my eyes with my hands and sigh.

I finally turn to look at you. "You're right I am a liar. I've fallen for you even though I deny it." She remains silent. A look of surprise and shock covers her face.

I stand and rush out of the room. She watches me like a hawk. "I'm leaving in an hour for the meeting. I expect you to come with me. You're still a member of the committee no matter what you believe," I mutter as I pass her.

When I make it to my room I release a breath I didn't know I was holding. I can't believe I said that. I let my heart speak for once and that's what it had to say. I don't regret saying it. I meant every single word.

An hour later I emerge from my room as does Alyssa. We make eye contact immediately. She's dressed in skin-tight jeans and a black long-sleeve. "I'm ready to go," she says peaking up through her lashes.

A smile forms on my lips. "Let's go."