Chapter 31

POV: Alyssa

POV: Alyssa

A few days have passed since Eden told me he has fallen for me. And a few more days remain that I have left on the committee. Today is the Halloween party. This morning everyone in the student body has gathered in the gymnasium.

Every time I look at Eden my heart beats out of my chest. Ever since he confessed to me our relationship has been in a weird limbo. I've tried to put his words in the back of my mind. Maybe because I think it's too good to be true. Or maybe because I can't speak up and tell him I want to be more than enemies.

A part of me is scared that things between us becoming more serious. Yeah, we semi-hooked-up, but we had an agreement to not fall for each other. Not to mention that lasted for like a day and we went back to hating each other's guts. Or so I thought he hated mine.

Besides Eden confessing to me he's been acting completely normal. He still jokes with me like he usually does. The only thing that has changed is the ice-cold barrier he set between us. It seems like it's been melting.

"Earth to Alyssa," Eden's voice snaps me out of my daze. I look up at him on the ladder. One of his hands is occupied by holding up the banner. The other one is reaching out to me. "I said hand me the tape like a million times."

"Oh, sorry!" I say handing him the Scotch tape.

"Space cadet," he mutters under his breath. That cracks a smile out of me.

When he's finished he shuffles down the ladder. He looks at the time on his phone and sticks it in his pocket. "I gotta go," he says.

My eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "No way you're going to leave me here!" I shout.

He shrugs his shoulder. "I have somewhere to be."

He turns to leave again and takes a few steps further before I grab his hand. "Where are you going, Eden?" I ask seriously.

He pulls me closer to him with our connected hands. "Why should I, Princess?" He asks. His words are breathy and as light as a feather. My eyes immediately drop down to his pink lips. Then I remember we're in a room full of people. I jump away from it like he burned me. The small smile that was once on his face is now gone.

He turns to leave again and this time I don't stop him. He walks out of the gym.

***

"What are you supposed to be?" I ask, chuckling.

Arlo rolls his eyes. "I'm a vampire, duh!" He gestures to the fangs in his mouth.

"I like it, very kid-friendly," I say as I smear facepaint on my face.

"Just wait until it's actually Halloween. Then I'll be sexy as hell. But for now, I'm just here to support the kiddos," he grins then plops down onto my bed.

"What are you? A spooky skeleton?" He asks, propping himself up by his elbow.

I nod at him. "Indeed, you have eyes," I chuckle. When I finish my makeup I open my closet a find a black turtleneck and black flannel skirt. "What do you think?" I ask Arlo. I hold the clothes up with a wide smile.