Backpack

"Look, chief, I already told you," the ragged man sitting on the investigation table said. "I ain't got nothing to do with those missing kids."

The lamp above him highlighted his face and made everything else dark. "But I know someone who might have," he bargained. "Just promise me I don't get a sentence 'cause I done nothing wrong. I swear on my Mama."

"Tell me about it and after that, we can forget everything," the policeman said. "I want to know what really happened. What you saw, what you think, happened."

"But I already told you the truth!"

The policeman man eyed him sharply, "Are you sure that's all?"

"I guess," Mr. Merlon looked to his right which implied he was not telling the truth.

Do you want me to hook you up to a lie detector machine?" The chief moved his face closer and said, "Just tell us what you know and we'll let you go.

"Okay, okay! But I'm sure you won't believe me."

The chief backed off his face, "Try me."

"When I applied for this job, I just needed to earn a living, but I didn't know I was going to be involved in some experiments or some monsters and shit."

"Mr. Merlon, we had more anomalies in this town, than you could ever imagine."

"I know. I knew from the start, I knew something's weird about him. I come from a poor family but as much as I can, I ain't telling lies. My mama never taught me that. Always the truth, she says. So here it is.