15. A Debt Repaid *

By the time you woke up, Eren had already been awake and gotten himself coffee along with a cup of tea for you and fresh clothes. You were so relieved to get out of the itchy hospital gown and felt so cozy in the sweats and his sweatshirt that he brought for you. The doctor discharged you with some oxys for you to take over the next week for pain as the rest of your body healed. When the doctor handed you the bottle you noticed a weird look on Eren's face, almost like he was annoyed with the doctor for giving them to you.

As you approached Eren's car he quickly opened the door for you and you glanced at the back seat. There were teddy bears, flowers, cards and balloons strewn across the entire bench.

"Where did those come from?" You asked him, a small smile forming on your lips as you began reading one of the 'Get Well Soon' cards.

"Oh, everyone was sending you stuff while you were out of it for that week. I was gonna set everything up at home but you woke up way sooner than we expected." Eren answered, tucking a stray piece of hair behind your ear before he started the car.

You were halfway through the drive home when he glanced at you, turning the radio down.

"Y/n, where is your family? Like, your parents?" He asked, hesitation in his tone. "I wanted to call your family but none of us know any of them. Sasha was being weird about it, too."

You stared out the windshield with a shocked look on your face. You never realized that you never mentioned your family to him. Only Sasha knew that your 'parents' lived on the other side of the country. That you were adopted when you were a baby and they thought they wanted a kid but decided when you were five that they didn't. They hated you, regretted you. As soon as you turned eighteen you left and never looked back.

"Oh, I don't have any." You said quickly.

Eren raised an eyebrow, his strong hands gliding over the wheel as he turned at a traffic light.

"You don't have any family at all?" He asked again, sympathy in his eyes when he looked at you again.

"Nope." You said dryly. You didn't want to have to explain everything to him, especially when he still owed you so much information on what happened before he left that morning. You began to feel bitter and angry with him as the memories replayed in your head.

He took the hint to stop asking and just nodded, his brows furrowed in thought. You plugged your phone into the aux and put it on shuffle, 'Rest' by Wicca Phase Springs Eternal coming on first. Eren hummed the song lowly as you closed your eyes and rested your pounding head against the window, a heavy weight lurking in your chest.

Once at the new apartment, you slowly got out of the car and squinted at the sun. You just slept for a week straight, but all you wanted to do was crawl into bed and go to sleep. Eren led you out of the parking deck and as you entered the building you looked around the lobby in awe.

Everything was modern and fancy, a doorman standing at the front door screening each person that walked in. Eren continued to the front lobby desk and handed the second doorman his car keys.

"Could you have one of the guys bring everything in the back seat up to our unit?" He asked and the man quickly nodded.

"Of course, Mr. Yeager."

You glanced between Eren and the man with a confused look on your face, looking up at him before he took your hand and walked you to the elevator. He pulled a card out of his wallet and inserted it into a slot below the button, pressing it and the elevator doors opened soon after. Once you were both inside Eren repeated the same process and pressed the button at the very top for the thirtieth floor.