22. Whole Again *

That night you decided to go home alone, leaving Eren at Zeke's. You didn't want things to fall back into place the exact way they were. Space was still needed.

You woke up the next morning to Peep making muffins on the blanket you were wrapped in, his way of saying "Good morning, feed me now". As you shuffled off of the couch to the kitchen and placed his food dish down, you checked your phone to see a text from Zeke.

Zeke -

Hey y/n, he just wanted me to let you know he's going to stop by for a change of clothes and his car

You responded thanking Zeke for the heads up. There was a pile of mail sitting on the counter and you took it, standing over the garbage as you tossed each piece of junk mail into the trash. The last envelope was from the state and it was addressed to you. You furrowed your brow as you opened it, slowly reading the letters at the top of the document. It was a court notice notifying you that Reiner was going to be testifying in court this month for the assault and attempted murder case against him and they were summoning you there in defense. You felt your stomach drop as you read the document over and over, unsure if it was mandatory. There was no way they would make you sit in the same room as him..

As you read the document for the third time you heard the front door unlocking after a quiet knock at the door, Eren's tall figure stepping into the doorway.

"Y/n?" He called out softly, not wanting to startle you if you were still in bed.

You looked up at him with wide eyes, hurrying over to him and practically tripping over your slippers as you handed him the letter.

He took it from you and began reading it, his expression quickly turning angry as he realized what it was.

"I can't do that.." You said quietly, already feeling yourself spiral.

"You won't have to." Eren said calmly, his eyes locking onto yours. "I'll call my lawyer. There's no way they can make you sit in court with him." Eren said, shaking his head as he tried to control his temper. He reached down, squeezing your shoulder as he planted a kiss to your forehead before he made his way to the bedroom.

You sat on the couch with a frown, texting Sasha a picture of the letter and panic-texting her. Eren emerged from the bedroom after a few minutes in fresh clothes, his keys and wallet in his hand.

"I have to go get a new phone and stop at Paradis." He told you, a slight frown on his soft lips. He wished he could just stay here with you, but he didn't want to overstep.

You noticed the overnight bag on his shoulder packed with clothes you assumed for staying at Zeke's. You contemplated for a minute, chewing at your lip.

"Can you stay here tonight?" You asked him quietly, feeling vulnerable now that you were thinking of Reiner again. You didn't want to be alone.

Eren quickly walked back to the bedroom and threw the bag onto his side of the bed which he noticed was still made perfectly. You must've slept on the couch last night and he frowned deeply. He knew you got anxiety sleeping alone, especially in bed, after what Reiner did to you.

He came back from the bedroom and found you sitting on the couch anxiously fidgeting with one of Peep's toys. He sat beside you on the couch and glanced down at you before gently placing his large hand on your bare thigh. You chewed at your lip until it bled, trying not to give in to your thoughts as Eren immediately sensed your conflict.

He wrapped his arms around you while pulling you into his lap. You immediately melted into his touch, curling up against his muscular chest as he hugged you tightly to it. One of his arms stayed wrapped tightly around your upper body while his other hand tracing small circles into your leg as he rested his chin on top of your head.