Chapter 7

Just the Beginning

A/n: Happy New Year and very late Christmas! I hope this year has been kind to you and that next year will bring more wonderful surprises. This will be my last fiction post of this year, so i made it longer. I hope you enjoy it! (Sorry for the spelling and grammar errors. I think my dyslexia is getting worse.)

You looked down at the box in front of you. You knew whom it was from, feeling the butterflies in your stomach. You picked it up, taking it back inside, but not before skimming outside to see if Chief was out there. It felt futile as there was nothing but the silence of the night. You sighed, feeling defeated by the loneliness and concern about him.

You walked into the kitchen quietly and sat close to the counter, placing the box and envelope on it. You felt nervous about what it could contain inside. You held your breath for a moment before deciding to open it.

"My dear lady,

I wanted to apologize for our last date. I hope you enjoy this small gift to make it up, for the distress I caused you at the museum. When I saw it, I knew it had to be with you. I had to depart for the moment but rest sure I'll be fine and return as soon as possible.

~Sincerely, your Chief."

You felt your cheek becoming pink, but your mind became curious about what he was thinking after that day. As you carefully open the box, a creek from behind you. Closing the box and hiding the letter, you turned around to find Moe walking toward you. He purred on your leg as you gave a small sigh of relief. "Did I wake you up? I'm sorry." You said as you picked him up, letting him snuggle in your arms.

"Not only him." A voice came from the darkroom as you turned to see Pigsy. "Oh! I'm sorry, I couldn't sleep." You meekly spoke as Pigsy stared you down. Those minutes felt like hours as you sat at the counter and he was cooking something, and the air felt tense with doubt. You stared down at Moe in your arms till a bowl of noodles was in front of you. Confused, you looked up to see Pigsy, who seemed apologetic.

"I haven't been the best guest since this chaos started." He looked down at the floor before looking up at you. You gave a weak chuckle as you spoke, " Well, I wouldn't put it past you. Everything seems to be falling apart, so it's good to be careful around others." Pigsy sighed, "but it was rude of me to be hostile with you. You appear to be great friends with Sandy, and he knows how to bring the best out in someone." He said, and you nodded in agreement.

"I'm sorry for my rude behavior," Pigsy said as he hung his head in remorse. "It's quite alright. I should be thanking you for the amazing foods you made." You smiled as he lifted his head. Pigsy gave a soft grin as you ate. It was a while before you both finished and talked more. Pigsy soon left you alone to go back to sleep.

"Well, Moe, I guess I made a new friend." You talked to the yawning cat. "And it seems to be you getting sleepy too. Come on, let's go." You carried the blue feline and placed him on a soft pillow. After that, you remember the gifted Chief gave you. You went to find the box and envelope staring at it for a bit. "Better now than never." You whisper to yourself as you open the small box.

Inside the box was a teardrop pendant, and the gem was white with blue undertones, held by a silver chain. You were surprised by how it looked. It was so simple, yet it had elegance to it. "What am I going to do with the man?" You chuckled to yourself before putting it on. "Thank you, Chief. I hope you are safe where ever you are..." You said as you wanted to bed, looking outside the window. As you shut your eyes, you felt like someone was at the window before going to sleep, creating the pendant gave a faint glow of neon blue.