Chapter Six

Needless to say, Aliyah wasn't sure maybe she should stop worrying about the attention-seeking writer after her encounter with Haniya Harrington. But some part of her felt the easiness of contentment, since Haniya was a tech genius she would be able to track the anonymous writer in no time.

Remembering Gossip Gurl's post flashed Aliyah back to what she did; the dirt she doesn't want anyone to see on her. As hard as she tried to wipe it away from her, it seemed like the dirt had dried and baked on her, ready to be another part of her. The only solution she could come up with was creating a harmless drama for Gossip Gurl to feed on. She might eventually forget what Aliyah had done and maybe she might retain her title till the end of senior year. Where would she find such drama?

Clarissa's soirée party.

That was the perfect location to fake harmless news. Since Clarissa's fans and influential friends would be attending, Gossip Gurl might actually be present. Her plan was to insult Clarissa a minute to the end of the party and eventually start up a fight—that should be juicy enough for whoever the anonymous writer was. She knew fighting wouldn't help her father's campaign, but it was a payback, maybe they'll finally open up to her. The only problem Aliyah had was permission. Her mother would never give her the permission not to talk of her father who was partially angry at her for her rebellious act.

As if the universe actually heard her pleas, an once in a lifetime opportunity came ringing at her pathetic teenage door. Her paternal abuela (grandmother) was sick and she needed intensive care. Mr. Santos was left with no choice but to catch the next flight to Mexico—his wife was also obligated to come with her husband; Mr. Santos' mother was a nice mother in-law, she had never for once made life hell for Mrs Santos like all mother-in-laws does to their daughter-in-law, so the least way she could repay the poor old woman was to take good care of her till she's okay.

Aliyah's mother and father were out of the picture, the only person left was Safiya. Safiya was easy to deal with though; ignoring her would be best. Even when Aliyah had no obstructions she still felt what she was about doing was wrong. Her grandmother was ill and the least she could do was pray to Allah for her grandmother to be healthy.

That guilt kept eating her up as she shut the car's trunk. Aliyah's parents weren't happy to go, but they had to. "That's the last one." Aliyah said happily.

Safiya hugged Mrs Santos tightly and beads of tears dripped from her eyes, Aliyah scoffed at the action. "Mamá, my regards to abuela, I hope she's fine. May Allah grant her shifa (good health)." She prayed inside her mother's ears.

Mrs Santos wiped away her tears. "Mi corazon (my heart) she's fine. Don't worry." She said and she opened the car's door.

Aliyah's heart melted instantly, what kind of granddaughter had she been. She didn't ask about the status of her grandmother's health; she knew not of what was wrong with her, but the way Safiya sounded made her realized it was something bad if not life-threatening. All she was thinking about was a haram (prohibited) soirée party when her abuela was on the sickbed. It was self-centered of her. "What's wrong with grandma?" Aliyah's eyes became glossy as she stuttered while struggling to talk when her throat had grown a big lump.

Mr. Santos glanced at her askance. "Since when do you care about this family's affair Aliyah?" He snapped at her, he was fed up with everything; his mother was sick, his daughter had changed into something else, he was slowly losing the election. Life in general has been hard on him.