Chapter Twenty-Five

If the secret trip had taught James anything, it was that all decisions were supposed to be treated with much delegation. He still wished he could turn back time rewind and stop Aliyah from getting herself drench. Why'd he even allowed that in the first place? Aliyah was nothing but a pathetic teenager who didn't know what's best for her. She always acts like a headless chicken when desperate and James knew better, he shouldn't have chopped off his head too—just because his boss' daughter said to him the l-word. 

The moment Aliyah was in the rain, dancing, he thought she had somehow finally surpassed her episode, but when she fell unconscious, he knew he was in trouble. He had no choice but to get drench with her. What would life be without anyone getting into trouble?

We were literally given names for us to get in trouble, and a little trouble is a part of adulthood.

James was in big trouble. He had finally put his name into what it's meant to do. Life is all about taking stupid risks, but there are sometimes in life when we don't take risks because they are stupid—like letting children decide their future occupation. Aliyah was definitely the child. 

Even though Mrs Sims offered to help drive Aliyah back to Dearborn, James declined: it was his mess after all. Most importantly, he could put his dishonesty into good use, lying about where they'd been would eventually lessen his punishment. But what would Mr. Santos say when he saw Mrs Sims there in the hospital with his daughter? That would make him more than mad, not to talk of what Mrs Santos would say. Totally hella.

As James drove back to Dearborn, his mind was divided into three parts; he was recalling the confession Aliyah made to him and at the same time getting ready to see his uncle Devon. Most importantly, he was accumulating a lie that would probably fool them all. But since Safiya got their back, James was kind of at ease—he knew she would never break her promise. Aliyah's confession was sweet, but the realization of when she woke up and forgot everything made the confession vague; James would be the only person with the memory of such a wonderful day. Only if Allah could make that one memory stay with her.

James' fingers trembled on his phone as he watched Aliyah being pushed into the operating theater. The look on the nurses' face told him he should expect some worst news. From the entrance of the hospital where the nurses pushed out the stretcher in a fast motion, he knew Aliyah's condition was critical. The oxygen mask that was attached to her face told the critical and emergency story better.

James wasn't ready to make another stupid mistake again, the only option he had left was to call someone: he was ready to own up to his mistakes, the trip and also the hallway incident. 

He couldn't relax a muscle as adrenaline was pumping through his veins. Despite the cold seeping inside the patient's bone, he had beads of sweat on his forehead. The other patients just stared at him with pity—thinking he brought his sick sister. The nurses gave him assuring words, but it was just too much for him to take. He dug out his phone from his ripped jeans pocket to call someone, anyone but Mr and Mrs Santos.

The perfect person he had in mind was his father. Even though Mr. Ramon was going to scold him, he knew that his father still loved him. Mr. Ramon was the best idea.

"Hi pa," James said as soon as his dad accepted the call at the other end. 

"Where are you son? Is Aliyah with you?" His father questioned at the other end. In his voice, James could tell he was worried about them; especially when there was a huge amount of rainfall.

James didn't know where to start, but one thing was certain: he was going to own up to his mistakes. "Dad, turns out you're right, I am irresponsible and I am a threat to Aliyah. I should have stayed away from her," James began with a shaky voice, running his hand over his rough hair. "I'm sorry dad, I've let you down again." He said with tears.