Chapter Sixteen

The blowing of the summer breeze from the school's yard was a big distraction itself than the yellowish dressed Chihuahua Miss Maddie literally brought to work with her—it was the school's annual holiday organized to honor and celebrate teachers who were yet to give birth and get married; the annual bring-your-pet-to-work day. It was the only day Prestige High Academia ruled democratically: students are granted unlimited use of freedom-passes; they can waltz anywhere they like, as long as it's not connected to something shady and illegal. It was a class-free day for them as well.

Bring-your-pet-to-work day was supposed to be adult-free for the students; according to Aliyah's eleventh grade experience, but it'd suddenly changed into something different; classes were held by the teachers—only twelfth graders in this case. The only joy the day had brought was how they'd got to see breeds of dogs; from the Dalmatians to the Newlyfounds, and also they got to see pets dressed in tiny and fine clothings by their weird owners.

If the day was some kind of competition, Miss Maddie's dog would have won the most chic dog's category.

Classes were boring; but all thanks to Crystal—Miss Maddie's Chihuahua, it killed the boring vibes that had already circulated the classroom. And the rustling leaves played an important role in the distraction phase. The students couldn't help but split their already-weak attention into two; paying one to Miss Maddie and the other to the leaves.

Who were the school board kidding to organized such a weird private annual holiday? That was bound to happen.

The sky was hazy and the atmosphere was cold, everybody couldn't wait no more for their unhelpful grammar class to end, while Aliyah despised the weather for being cool and friendly; she knew what nature had in store for her—rainfall, which was equivalent to another amnesiac episode. Writing everything she'd done the whole week down was her last option because relying on humans never did her good anyways.

It was time to do it traditionally.

Having a strong phobia for rainfall wasn't her choice; she didn't even know how, when and where it started. Only if she could remember how it all began, that's how she could get the cure she has always been praying for; at least that's how amnesiac people get cured in movies.

Recalling how it all started would require something to trigger them back; just like how Daphne's bumptiousness flashed one of her lost memories back to her—even though she suffered a mild migraine afterwards, it was worth it. At least she knew how she'll get back her memories and whatnot.

"And that's all for today. I hope Crystal was lovable. We are counting on your subscription to her YouTube channel." Was all Aliyah heard. Miss Maddie finished her class and also explained to the class that she was a loner; given by the YouTube channel she created for a dog. Who even creates a channel for a dog?

"Yeah, we will." The students said in unison, just to get Miss Maddie out of the class.

A dog is its owner's representation: Miss Maddie's Chihuahua was the tiny and doggy version of her, the dog was walking on two feet and it stood up like a human, walking with its chest out just like how Miss Maddie would do. This impressive act made the whole class cheered for Crystal and the wagging of her tail said her gratification perfectly.

"Weird owner, weird dog. Don't you think so too?" Someone tried to start up a conversation with an anxious Aliyah.

Aliyah turned and looked at them, "yeah, what you said just now." She said, tilting her head to gain access to the intruder's face. "Muneer." Aliyah surprisingly said. Muneer was Aliyah's first Muslim friend who was also Hispanic like her.

Aliyah groaned mentally at the fact that she'll have to listen to Muneer's bragging. She knew Muneer had feelings for her, but, Muneer wasn't her type when it comes to boys; he was cocky, goofy and most of all, full of himself and also dumber than a button. He was a stuck-up and he would forever brag about El Brillante: the yacht his father bought for him for his tenth birthday.