Chapter 3- On my doorstep?

-Miss Peregrines POV-

"All right everyone, head inside and get ready for bed please" i say gently, with a strict undertone just to make the message clear. They all head in some chatting, others too tired to engage. I feel a smile tucking at my lips as i walk behind the small crowd, just taking in all of their unseen differences.

'Birds how I love these children' I think to myself, as i go to put away all of the gas masks and coats. I clean up around the house for a little while, just passing time until they were all ready for bed. I look out the window suddenly feeling uneasy. There is nothing apparent wrong... but that doesn't stop my thoughts from going on. I accidentally zone out, my look remaining to glance out the window, when suddenly i feel a pull on my skirt. I gasp slightly and look down.

"Hello dear, is everything alright?" I ask the little girl. It was Claire who was standing beside me, not being too talkative she shakes her head for an answer. I give her a soft smile and bend down to be more on her level.

"Are you all ready to be tucked in?" I ask her again. She nods with a wide smile and i let her pull me up the stairs.

"Alright dear, I'm not going anywhere" I say chuckling lightly as I keep following, her leading the way, even though she knows that i know exactly were to go.

____________

"Goodnight my children" i say with a smile as i close the last door of the night. They hum a response, some saying 'goodnight' back. Others were already asleep. I momentarily slip out of my heels as to be quiet, as i slowly make my way down stairs. It's not like we did a lot today. We went on a longer walk that's all, but that couldn't possibly shake my brain up to this level of unease. I lock the front door, the noise of the lock causing shivers down my spine, the quiet house making the sound louder than it would normally appear to be. i shake it off and take a seat in the parlour, though i quickly get up again to make tea. As I pour the hot water i spare a quick glance out of the window again. The darkness closing around the house and the trees outside, normally really wouldn't bother me! This making me more frustrated.

"Control your thoughts!" I whisper in a strict manner. Of course to myself seeing as no one is currently around. Well not awake at least. I can already see that i'm not getting much sleep tonight, so on instinct i grab the tea heading back to the parlour, and grab a book sitting down in a chair. I let out a sigh and take a sip of the tea, right as i open the book.

____________

About an hour has passed.

"Oh what am i saying" I say to myself pinching the bridge of my nose. I know exactly how much time has passed.

"An hour twenty four minutes." I say to satisfy my brains need for the perfection of time. Suddenly a knock on the front door makes me snap my head up as worry flashes over my features.

"Birds help me" I say. The sentence is barely a whisper. I'm going over all of the possible scenarios. Well if being honest, only the worst case scenarios. As i reach the door i stop. I can hear panicked breathing and whimpering. Huffs not of frustration but what sounds like sadness... or possibly pain... I freeze to the spot. At this point It can be anything. To ease my nerves i take a deep breath, and just as i open the door, i put on a clear plastic smile. Though this falters when i see a woman bloody and bruised standing slouched on my front door step. She cries out and i immediately know she is no one to do me nor the children, any harm. And certainly not in this state. Some of the blood is dried, and some wounds are still flowing with blood.

"Please, I can't-" a cry cuts her off as she looses balance out of pain. I'm quick to catch her and pull her in. She is obviously peculiar, and if the fact of her entering the loop wouldn't be enough. She has wings. Literal wings. I've never seen anything like them but now is no time to admire this. I rush off into the kitchen and get the medical kit i keep in one of the upper cupboards. In haste i try to turn her to care for the wounds, but the dress she's wearing is ripped and misplaced. Making it go over her wings, one ow them wounded. I sigh as i go to say something;

"Oh I'm sorry dear, but i hope you can forgive me for this" I say as I get to un-zipping her dress pulling it off revealing her torso. I let the dress rest on her waist my eyes only shortly skimming over her body, mostly to check for injuries, but i can't help but notice her beauty. I shake my head visibly as i snap back into my sound mind, and start tending to her wounds. I don't focus on cleaning the blood off of her for now, but rather i clean the big open wound on her humerus-

-a/n: right were the wing starts-

-which quickly makes me notice, that the wing is broken.

"Oh damn it!" I curse out despite myself.

"Oh, i'm so sorry darling" i say as she gives me a pleading look. We both know what i'm about to do.

"No, no, no, no, no, please i-" She says getting cut off my me muffling her scream with a cloth I shove into her mouth just as i snap her bones back into place. The scream following is full of pain. It's strained, her body can't take anymore, and i get the feeling her mind can't either. I can let her tend to showering when she's gotten some rest. I decide on taking her up to my room. Her wings hang lifelessly behind us as i try helping her walk, but her legs give in and she cries out right as I lift her up bridal style, her wings not making that too easy, as she currently has no control of them.

"I'm so sorry dear" I say as i lie her down on my side of the bed as i go fetch for an extra set of bedding.

'I can make do with the floor for tonight' I decide for myself as I throw the bedding onto the floor. I go up to the side of the bed i had put her on and decide it to be best to take her dress off of her and give it a quick wash, so that she'll maybe be able to wear it tomorrow. I quickly cover her in all the blankets i can give her, and head to change. She'd passed out a while ago so I don't go into the bathroom to change, seeing as she wouldn't notice anyway. I return to look her over and see her still shivering.

"Oh no, that won't make do..." I say, but there aren't any more blankets i can give her...

"Oh for-" I say, almost cursing for the second time today, as i nuzzle into her to give her a bit of warmth. She seems to relax under the touch making me exhale a breath I didn't know I had been holding.

"You'll be alright birdie.... I promise"

___________

Sound familiar- i'm sorry😭🤚😂💀❤️‍🩹❤️