1 Unexpected Circumstances

The weather outside was dark and gloomy, as the sound of cars in the crowded streets and rain pouring down harshly on cement echoed through New York City. It was the perfect weather to read a scary book, at least in the opinion of a certain 15-year-old girl. She lay on the carpet of her bedroom, her long black hair cascading around her. In her hands, she held a book labeled 'Frankenstein by Mary Shelley'.

She finished the book after only an hour. She closed it before sitting up and looking at the time, it was now 8:37. She stood up from the floor and set the book back onto its rightful place on the shelf. Just as she sat down at her desk she heard the front door of her apartment open.

"Opal! I'm home!" She heard her older brother, Dominic, yell in a sing-song voice. Opal moved in with her older brother three years ago after their parents passed away. He was rather tall with matching green eyes and black hair. She smiled and made her way out of her room and to her brother who was now in the kitchen. She gave him a big hug from behind while he was looking through the fridge. He chuckled before turning around and ruffling her hair.

"How was work?" She asked while he turned back to the fridge and she sat on a stool at the island. Dominic worked as a bartender in an Italian restaurant that was owned by their cousin Joey. He wasn't truly their cousin, just a close friend.

"Same as usual, how was your day? Enjoying summer break?" Dominic asked his sister.

"It was okay so, I guess so," she said. Dominic finally pulls his head out of the fridge bringing along several ingredients and looks at her.

"I'm gonna make some dinner, in the meantime why don't you run to the corner store and pick up something for dessert?" He said. She smiled at him and nodded. She jumped off the stool and ran to put on her boots. She was about to hurry out the door when he stopped her and handed her the umbrella and some cash.  

"Be safe, and come straight back!" He yelled as she said goodbye and ran down the hall to the elevator.

It was normal for her to walk to this corner store, it was only a block away and she knew the owners. Still, whenever she goes alone Dominic always reminds her to be safe. He can't help but be overprotective of her at times, especially after what happened with their parents.

Opal walked down the street with her umbrella. The rain had settled down to a sprinkle which she was thankful for. The street noise mixed with the mellow sound of rain creates a calming atmosphere only someone from the city would understand. She opened the door causing the bell on it to ding.

"Hey, Opal, what's up?" The man at the counter said through the toothpick in his mouth. This was Tony, Dominic's childhood friend, and boyfriend. His family owns the corner store. They're a second family of sorts to the Delaney siblings.

"Hey, Tony! I just came to grab dessert, Dominic got off early tonight!" Opal chirped, before going to the candy aisle. Dominic works a lot to support both of them, so they aren't able to spend much time together.

"That's great, kid," Tony said with a smile. "Tell Dominic to call me later tonight, aight?" Toney asked her as she scanned the aisles.

"Alright," Opal said before walking to the ice cream coolers. She decided to get two small tubs of Superman ice cream and went back to the counter to pay. On the counter there sat a fat Himalayan cat named Big Boy, this was Tony's mother's cat. Because their home is right above the shop he spends a lot of time downstairs getting attention from customers. Opal gives him some pets while Tony rang her up like she always does.

"Ok darling, that'll be $8.75," Toney said and bagged the tubs.

"Here you go," Opal said and gave him a ten. She puts the change in the tip jar and makes sure to pet Big Boy one last time before saying goodbye and going back home.