p. parker + his rambling/stuttering

your study partner talks a mile a minute.

"so we want to integrate over theta first, because from that perspective phi and rho are just constants, and it's way easier to take the antiderivative from 0 to 2 pi over 3, which is..."

you nod, actually following his explanation, but mostly you admire the way he gestures enthusiastically at the whiteboard, writing graceful greek letters and tracing arcs over the 3D shape you're integrating.

"peter?" you ask quietly.

he turns back to you, still holding the dry erase marker halfway over the board. "yeah?" he blinks. "did i lose you when we started integrating over—?"

"i was wondering if you wanted to try the new coffee place opening up downtown."

"oh, yeah. that would be great, maybe before the midterm next week?" he starts to face the board again.

"no, as like, a date," you clarify.

"a—" with his hip, he knocks over an eraser sitting on the ledge, quickly bending to grab it. his face glows slightly pink when he pops back up. "a date?"

"you can say no," you add, self-conscious.

"no." his eyes widen. "uh, my—my answer isn't no, i just mean that..." he shakes his head. "i would never turn down, um, a date. with you."

a small smile tugs at your lips. "is that a yes?"

"yes," he clarifies, finally. "yes. i'd really like that."