j. storm + teaching you ride a dirt bike

"babe, you're gonna be fine."

you shake your head. "nope. no."

he looks to the ramp sitting several yards in front of you. there's a sizable gap between the two ends, but the overall height barely reaches past his waist. "remember how much fun you were having?"

it took a while for you to familiarize yourself with mechanics, but soon after, you spent a good twenty minutes decorating the dirt bike track with your scribbly tire marks. johnny had flushed with pride as he watched you make tight turns and dive headfirst into the valleys and hills, fearless.

he had flushed with something else, when you had yanked off your helmet, flinging your arms around his neck, thrilled to the point of breathlessness. "i love this. i love you."

he hadn't said it back, because, well.

truthfully, he couldn't even be certain that you knew—with your brain hyped on adrenaline—that those three words spilled from your pretty lips for the first time.

now, you attempt to calm yourself, the forceful breaths you're pushing in and out of your lungs reminding him of darth vader. "c'mon, you got this."

"if i fall, what are you gonna do? fly over and catch me?" your fingers flex over the throttle. "send me to the hospital with second degree burns, more like it."

"would you prefer that over a broken limb?" he jokes.

you wrestle the goggles off your face, tossing them away, but johnny catches them. "i can't do it. this was fun, but—"

"baby, you know i'd never let anything happen to you."

your brows furrow.

that confession sounds so sincere it's nearly embarrassing. so he flicks at your plastic helmet, then focuses on stretching your goggles over it.

you stop him before he can conceal your eyes, which shine wide and beautiful. "is it 'cause you love me?"

he sputters. "uh, well. i mean—" for a second, his throat catches. "sure."

you laugh. "you're so romantic, jonathan."

"we're literally on a dirt bike date," he says in defense. "this isn't my strong suit."

"i think i can do it." you remove your helmet. "but first, gimme a kiss for good luck."

jesus christ, he's whipped. but he does; anything for you.