ii. ( angel of death )

[002]  angel of death❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

BEATRICE DIDN'T KNOW how long she was sitting in the field of grain

BEATRICE DIDN'T KNOW how long she was sitting in the field of grain. Her eyes were closed and her fingers ran through the stalks as the wind blew through them. She cherished the moment of peace before she had to return to her life.

Just for a minute, she pretended going back into the arena wasn't her reality. She pretended she was a regular nineteen year old, with a regular job and a regular life. She wondered what her life would have been like if she had never been chosen for the games. Would she still be a grain plower? Would she have a girlfriend? Would she be happy?

Someone walking towards her is what pulled Beatrice out of her trance. She sighed before opening her eyes to see who the figure was; Vaughn. He sat down next to her, not saying anything, just taking her hand in his own. They both watched the sun fall and the moon rise. She hadn't realized silent tears were running down her face until now. If Vaughn noticed, he didn't say anything.

After a few minutes, he simply said, "I'm sorry." Beatrice's eyebrows furrowed, "What are you sorry for? It's not your fault, it's Snow's." She said with a scowl. "I know it's not my fault. I just wish I could take your place in the games. You don't deserve to go back in, you're just a kid." Beatrice let out a disbelieving laugh. She didn't feel like a kid. She feels like she's lived five lifetimes and God was just dragging out her misery.

"Come on, let's get you back to your sister. She's probably run herself mad looking for you." Vaughn states and drags her up from the ground. They made the short treck back to the victor's village. Vaughn led Beatrice through the front door of her house.

Maeve rounded the corner at the sound of the door opening and pulled her sister into a tight hug. Beatrice let out the sob she had been holding back. She felt like a child again, like when she cried in her sister's arms after their mother died. Maeve just held her in her arms and stroked her hair.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Bea." Maeve said, pulling back. She wiped the tears off of her little sister's face. It was no use though, sobs still wrecked through Beatrice's body. Maeve lead Beatrice upstairs and to her room. That night Maeve held Beatrice while they slept, just like they did when they were children. For all they knew, this would be the last time.