x. ( wreath of toxin )

[010]  wreath of toxin❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

[010] wreath of toxin
❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

BEATRICE HAD BEEN awakened by the sound of a loud gong going off throughout the arena

BEATRICE HAD BEEN awakened by the sound of a loud gong going off throughout the arena. She jumped to sit up, startled, and Finnick gave her a confused look. It seemed no one knew why the gong was going off.

"How many times did it go off?" Beatrice asked as she crawled towards Finnick and Katniss.

"I counted twelve," Katniss informed, still looking around suspiciously.

Finnick looked down at the girls, "Midnight?"

"Or the number of districts," Katniss theorized.

"Why would they do that?" Beatrice asked, still confused in her haze of sleep.

"I don't know, Bea," Finnick sighed. Beatrice ran a hand through her hair, trying to tame the sweat-dripped frizz. God, she hated hot weather.

Suddenly, lightening struck a tree in the distance. Beatrice jumped at the loud sound. They all gazed at it with bewilderment.

Beatrice wondered how the tree didn't collapse. Whenever lightening struck a tree in District Nine, which was quite often due to the flat terrain, it immediately tumbled over and charred. It must be made out of metal, Beatrice thought.

"Well... if you're not gonna sleep, I will," Finnick spoke as he looked down at Katniss. "You coming, Bea?"

"No, it's okay. I'll keep Katniss company," the blonde told him with a smile. He gave her a quick nod and went to lay by Mags.

The two girls sat in silence for a few minutes, still both exhausted and sweaty.

"Do you trust him?" Katniss asked in a whisper, looking down at Beatrice. The blonde was lying on the forest floor, her head on a pile of leaves.

"With my life," Beatrice said almost immediately. Katniss gave her a nod and looked off, seemingly deep in thought.

Beatrice wanted to start a conversation with Katniss, sick of the silence. Beatrice hated the quiet, and that hatred increased tenfold after her first games. It was always eerie, not knowing what was to come next.