vi. ( the moon )

[006]  the moon❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

[006]  the moon
❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

DAY THREE OF training comes and goes

DAY THREE OF training comes and goes. Beatrice decides to spend the day catching up on her survival skills, learning about the different types of poisonous plants. Nothing too interesting happens.

After the sun sets and the moon rises, Beatrice's back hits the bed with a loud thump. She is exhausted beyond belief. She spent these last days holding in all her grief, not letting her disparity show. There is an ach in her chest that she has not felt since her first games. The feeling of certain death.

She misses her sister dearly. The girl who raised her, the girl who had to grow up all too fast, the girl who held her as she sobbed. The girl who loved her like she was pure and beautiful, who didn't view her as tainted as she viewed herself.

As Beatrice's thoughts become jumbled, she falls into a light slumber. Haunted images flash in her mind.

She could see her district partner from her first games, Julius, being slaughtered like a lamb. One of the Careers had dug his machete through his stomach, rendering Julius dead within a second. It was appalling how life and death could be switched so quickly.

Beatrice remembered seeing him, his lifeless body lying on the ground. She could see the blood pooling under him. She saw the life fade from his eyes.

She took her scythe and ran at the Career. She sliced his head clean off in a fit of rage. Beatrice heard resounding thud of his skull hitting the ground, his body soon after. Then, she felt no remorse. Now, it floods her mind every second of every day. That was the moment that her halo turned into horns. The devil crept up inside of her and she was never the same. She had taken a life she could not give back.

Beatrice awakened with a scream. She could feel her heartbeat in her ears and tears streaming down her face. She curled her hands in the comforter and rocked back and forth, trying to clear her thoughts.

She found herself walking to the roof. Beatrice didn't remember making this decision, it was almost as if she was sleepwalking. She sat on the ledge of the roof overlooking the streets. The Capitol parties were just slowing down, making the air quiet. Peaceful.