viii. ( lamb to the slaughter )

[008]  lamb to the slaughter❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

BEATRICE HAD FOUND herself on the roof yet again

BEATRICE HAD FOUND herself on the roof yet again. It was a well learned practice for her. She had done it during her first games and throughout her trips to the Capitol. And now would be the last time she could ever come up here and gaze at the stars. The thought made her sad.

Tomorrow she would be sent to her death. There was the promise of rescue, but she had to live long enough to see it.

Beatrice heard shuffling behind her and turned around. Katniss was standing by the elevator, just staring at the blonde. Almost afraid to approach her.

"Katniss..." Beatrice started.

"Are you going to kill me tomorrow?" Katniss cut her off. Beatrice's eyes widened at the sharp turn the conversation took.

Beatrice tilted her head to the side. "Why are you asking me that? Why now?"

Katniss sighed and walked a little closer, now a few feet from the blonde. "I just... don't want to have any surprises tomorrow. I don't want to think that this," Katniss said, pointing between the two of them, "is something that it's not. Just be honest with me."

Beatrice let out a little laugh and looked down to her hands. "I don't think I could kill you Katniss, even if I wanted to."

Katniss narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "What does that mean?"

Beatrice sighed. "Everything I said in my interview was true. I have grown to like you a lot, which has completely blindsided me. I came into the Capitol thinking that you would be my biggest threat. Now I see you as anything but that."

"You like me a little too much, huh?" Katniss teased, reciting Beatrice's interview. "What did you mean by that?"

Beatrice looked her in the eyes. "It means whatever you want it to mean. I'm not completely sure myself."